Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-May-2004, 13:55
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Best Wishes

John
Sorry for the time delay in reading your post (had lots to do with my daughter and not on-line) but firstly, no was not reading the 996 posts.

However, I am intrigued by this oil consumption and truely wish you all the best for the future - but any "high" oil usage should be viewed with a "little" concern, and that's why I mentioned provenence.....

I ride hard - loads of engine braking in the alps otherwise the brakes do tend to overheat and fade a little. Riding solo n luggage I use very little rear brake. My routes demand that the gearbox is played with all the time with all the steep ascents/decents around here. And when I come back to the UK I fly along the motorways across France, Luxembourg and Belgium in the middle of the night at the highest rate of knots that road and bike will permit. Yet no appreciable oil usage. That's why I was concerned about your plight.

Have fun and I really hope this "oil" thing does not develop into a problem that spoils your riding fun.
Old 22-May-2004, 21:41
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
John - Just a Thought

John - forgot to mention in my last post:

I was once told by my trusty duc approved mechanic that whenever you change the oil - ALWAYS - fill the new oil filter up before inserting otherwise you will get a false reading on the oil level window after pouring fresh oil down there! Just a thought as this would lead to an "apparent" heavy consumption reading later on.

Good Luck
Old 23-May-2004, 23:58
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Thanks mate, I will keep an eye on the oil usage, and appreciate the tip about the filter, although I always do that anyway.
Old 24-May-2004, 18:33
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Just getting sorted for a two up ride down to Southern Spain and wanted to take some extra oil as we hope to be "making progress" on much of the trip. My ST2 doesn't seem to use much oil but for some reason it varies with which brand I use, I'm currently on Silkolene semi synthetic and it seems fine on that. To be on the safe side I've put a spare litre of oil in two 500 ml plastic bottles in the side pods under the seat. They are Tesco liquid soap bottles which I save as they are good sturdy polyprop bottles with screw caps. They fit very nicely in the space and to aid filling with the fairing on I've used a spare cap drilled out with a plastic hosetail screwed into it, this in turn has some soft plastic tube on it so oil can be replenished with ease during the trip. There is also enough space for sockets to fit front and back wheel nuts along with a 1/2 inch drive bar in the side pod.

With Panniers, top box and tank bag I reckon we should just about have enough space for the luggage, will have to put a bit more preload on the rear shock though ;-)