Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Dec-2009, 00:52
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Phil

I'll be happy when I beat you at the Asda Car park (Mallory)

Steve, I shall do my utmost to keep you miserable.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 01:40
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
is a far different league to us, at my age I couldn't do it either.

sorry Phil - total tosh! Not too old...never too old!!
Old 10-Dec-2009, 02:37
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Steve, I shall do my utmost to keep you miserable.

Your home track Phil, I'm gona have to try extra hard for that day...

Craig
Old 10-Dec-2009, 07:50
Mille

Mood: elated
Unhappy maybe it's just me then?

as the title says, but i feel that the focus will drift away from us to the 'higher profile' Manufacturer and dealer sponsered series and the only loser again will be DD!!!!
Old 10-Dec-2009, 08:29
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
as the title says, but i feel that the focus will drift away from us to the 'higher profile' Manufacturer and dealer sponsered series and the only loser again will be DD!!!!

I do not understand why you say DD will be the only loser???.

As has been said, the last time DD was at Assen, they upset the organisers!!!, and when it was put up about going to Assen for 2010, not enough DD'rs put there names down to go.

Another thing is that Assen is not a cheap trip to make, especialy in the present economic climate, so with 1st meeting at Brands Hatch during the weekend of BSB, what more could one ask for, it may even make it onto the telly again.

Chris
Old 10-Dec-2009, 08:31
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572

Feeling a little miffed with your comments!

Firstly Assen is not something that the Club can claim as a right - for Desmo Due. As Kevin said the antics in 2008 did little to endear the series to the Dutch Club. We had a chance to go in 2009, but enough people wouldn't commit before the deadline and the Club had to hand the grid back.

For the Dutch Club it is a very considerable financial commitment, that they need to cover by filling grids. That means committed numbers and deposits by Christmas, yet again DD haven't done that.

It is perhaps not that obvious to participants, that an enourmous amount of work goes on in the background to ensure that Desmo Due is put together each year. Ok most of it goes on during the 4th quarter of the year after the racing has finished, but it still has to be done. I have lost track of the number of hours, phone calls and e-mails that Kev Ellis, myself and others have put in on the rules, sorting out the tyre situation and most recently getting a calendar that people might want to commit to. What we dont do is make a big song and dance about it on here.

Your comment above perhaps shows a lack of understanding on how things work. As both series are being run through New Era, then it is possible to address both items at the same meetings. One thing that has already been made clear is that Desmo Due has been ring fenced and a commitment made that for as long as there are enough people to make it a viable grid, then we will put in the required effort to ensure that it happens

With regard to the 848 series, I may well be running it and the Club is not involved in any way, but because of the 848 Series I have been able to get Desmo Due a grid at Brands Hatch BSB.

Ultimately, it is very easy to stand on the periphery and make disparaging remarks, it is far harder to stand in the middle actually be responsible for doing something and be open to public scruitiny. But unless people are prepared to stand in the middle and get on with it, then nothing gets done and you wouldn't have a race series to enter.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 16:38
500SD

I think theres a few people out there who had their heart set on Assen. I think a sterling job has been done on securing some good tracks. I guess that we are pretty close to bottom in the old pecking order so we are lucky to get what we got.

Would have loved to go to Assen but c'est la vie (or something similar). As it seems that we are unlikely to secure Assen in the future is there a sustainable alternative?

Mark.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 19:51
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
I can forgive all other tracks, but not Outlon Park. Stick Brands where you don't want and silverstone too. Wirral 100 where over subscrided for oulton this year with BSB & BSS teams queing for attendance, why not attempt a singular DD effort? Eff all to lose.........maybe face ......or an 848 series........

Last edited by Cranker V2 : 10-Dec-2009 at 19:57.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 20:53
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker V2
I can forgive all other tracks, but not Outlon Park. Stick Brands where you don't want and silverstone too. Wirral 100 where over subscrided for oulton this year with BSB & BSS teams queing for attendance, why not attempt a singular DD effort? Eff all to lose.........maybe face ......or an 848 series........

Well if you can come up with enough entries/grids to cover the £30K hire cost for the day plus the running costs on top, then I am sure that New Era will consider putting on a race day for you!

At £145 per entry that is well north of 200 bikes to cover everything.

Puts it into perspective doesn't it!
Old 10-Dec-2009, 20:53
Bevel Head

[quote=ChrisBushell]Feeling a little miffed with your comments!
As Kevin said the antics in 2008 did little to endear the series to the Dutch Club. QUOTE]

What 2008 antics? We were the ones who were made to bear the brunt of the noise restriction quotas!

There were much noisier bikes from the Dutch guys on the practice day that never got black flagged. Yet even our professional decibel killers didn't prevent us from getting black-flagged. So we were forced to strap the end of drinks cans over the top of them, which by the way destroyed the engine of Cobby's bike. And we STILL got black-flagged, which meant we missed the precious little practice that we had, and that we paid for just like everyone else!

I didn't fit decibel killers at either Donington on the quiet track day, or at the Castle Combe track day where noise restrictions are at least as draconian as Assen. So there was obviously something going on at Assen.

We asked the Assen organisers about it and they said it was down to quotas. So by the time we were let out, those quotas had already been met by the Dutch classes and we bore the brunt of it. And we didn't even make a fuss about it, we just did our best to get out there!

So all this business about our "antics" is ridiculous.