Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Dec-2009, 21:03
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
[quote=Miss Riot]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Feeling a little miffed with your comments!
As Kevin said the antics in 2008 did little to endear the series to the Dutch Club. QUOTE]

What 2008 antics? We were the ones who were made to bear the brunt of the noise restriction quotas!

There were much noisier bikes from the Dutch guys on the practice day that never got black flagged. Yet even our professional decibel killers didn't prevent us from getting black-flagged. So we were forced to strap the end of drinks cans over the top of them, which by the way destroyed the engine of Cobby's bike. And we STILL got black-flagged, which meant we missed the precious little practice that we had, and that we paid for just like everyone else!

I didn't fit decibel killers at either Donington on the quiet track day, or at the Castle Combe track day where noise restrictions are at least as draconian as Assen. So there was obviously something going on at Assen.

We asked the Assen organisers about it and they said it was down to quotas. So by the time we were let out, those quotas had already been met by the Dutch classes and we bore the brunt of it. And we didn't even make a fuss about it, we just did our best to get out there!

So all this business about our "antics" is ridiculous.

Well said! that's how it was.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 21:12
Mille

Mood: elated
Talking sorry if my comments upset!!

But as a DDer i feel that this forum is for the free expression of our views and to present them for open discussion.. None of it is meant to be personal so please don't take it as so. i am gratefull for the efforts that you and the RC put into to organising the venues and as i have only missed two meetings last year and have been unemployed since last May, i am fully aware of the financial commitments involved so please spare me the lectures on that.
I feel that it is an unaviodable human trait that your attention will be directed towards the series that is in the forefront of your mind and that is understandably the 848 series. so maybe it would be advisable to have two seperate rc's, one for DD and one for 848???????
Old 11-Dec-2009, 00:53
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Riot
What 2008 antics? We were the ones who were made to bear the brunt of the noise restriction quotas!

So all this business about our "antics" is ridiculous.

So who's debris was I having to avoid out on track, there were several baffles and several tin cans, the latter from riders that had fitted them after initially going out in the first session without any extra silencing.

Then there was a rider stopping at the end of the start finish straight and removing there helmet before getting clear of the track.

Now that day I did feel robbed of track time dispite my bike and the two I transported with me not giving rise to any issues.

At the mini giro several us also had conversations with Ron the president of the Dutch club to try and persuade him to invite DD back to Assen, maybe we didn't buy him enough beers.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Dec-2009, 01:07
Bevel Head

[quote=skidlids]
Then there was a rider stopping at the end of the start finish straight and removing there helmet before getting clear of the track.
QUOTE]

Well I don't think that would have been a problem in the eyes of the Dutch since they were just stopping in the middle of the track without warning to practice starts!
Old 11-Dec-2009, 01:51
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
We were lucky.

Most national licence holders haven't got the opportunity to race abroad and while it must be disappointing for those who want to go to Assen this year, to have the opportunity taken away, we must be realistic.
Those who have been were the lucky ones.
As motorcycle racing goes, regardless of how much fun we have in desmodue, it is on the lower rungs of the racing ladder.
The 848 class was always going to be a more attractive class to sponsors and circuit organisers, than a load of middle aged has beens on slow bikes wobbling around on road tyres.

Don't misunderstand I've had a ball over the last 4 years but the next Valentino Rossi isn't racing in class A or B cos he'll start on a 125!!!
Old 11-Dec-2009, 05:00
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Is DD tied to New Era? Cannot another club be approached with a view to adding to their grid? What is the average grid number for DD? What do you expect the grid numbers to be for the 848 series? Each individual series that is out there adds numbers all the time. Yes, 30k is a fair amount of wonga, andI would be surprised if circuits declined the business. Well, maybe donnington would decline.......
Old 11-Dec-2009, 10:42
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker V2
Is DD tied to New Era? Cannot another club be approached with a view to adding to their grid? What is the average grid number for DD? What do you expect the grid numbers to be for the 848 series? Each individual series that is out there adds numbers all the time. Yes, 30k is a fair amount of wonga, andI would be surprised if circuits declined the business. Well, maybe donnington would decline.......

Not tied to New Era, but they can accommidate us.
But clubs like NGRCC, Bemsee and Thundersport GP already have full race programs and these are the clubs that have the best range of circuits. I haven't looked at Derby Pheonix or EMRA grids lately but I'm sure DDers would whinge about the choice of venues with those clubs

Grid sizes vary, for a championship round its been around 25 to 30 entries of late, non championship racing on Saturdays of a two day meeting are often half thatmore like 15 to 20 so half a grid.

Old 11-Dec-2009, 11:43
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Angry Assen & MISANO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
am I the only person that feels robbed of a slot at Assen to make way for our overly sponsered 'new boys' on their shiny 848's????

Personally, if I'm miffed about anything its that I put forward an idea some time ago about racing at WDW2010, which was discussed at a Brands Hatch DD. (WDW is not a race event so would have been more of an exhibition).
This has now been hi-jacked for the 848 series, a series that will receive much more in the way of promotional help and sponsorship than DD anyway.

Perhaps this could have remained a DD as the 848s got Assen?
Old 11-Dec-2009, 12:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I think the problem will be the entry fees, as it ain't gonna be cheap to get bikes to both Assen and Misano and pay for it all. DD has never been about big fees, just the racing on an even field at a cheap cost. The big events we've done in the past have been a bonus and not a right. Yes, the popularity of DD has tailed off recently (either due to the series itself or maybe just due to current economic pressures that everyone is feeling; you can make up your own mind about this) and the simple fact is that DD didn't get enough people signed up to pay for a grid this season, the Dutch spat their dummy (for whatever reason; again make your own mind up about that) and DD simply won't be going back again in 2010.

The 848 series is obviously aimed at a "higher level" of racers than DD - those that can afford to go through a hefty tyre bill every race meeting, that can pay more for the bike and generally have all round bigger bills. It's a new series with DUK backing - DD never had that, remember? There's a lot of sponsorship money in there but don't kid yourself that you're not going to be coughing up a big chunk of money to enter and do all the rounds. This is a big leap up in terms of cost (and probably racing too) from DD.

If people really want to race at Assen and Misano, why not buy a cheap 848 and join that series? Simply sell your DD bike on to someone for next season, offset the cost of an 848 with this money and away you go.

Remember that nobody is forcing anyone to ride in DD next season; all of the dates have been released in advance (including two excellent meetings at Brands and Silverstone) which is far more than most other clubs/series are getting. It seems that a lot of people are having the "glass half empty" view with DD next year.

Besides, you can always go and race with Nog's series; at this rate you're guaranteed a podium in "Class A" and there's half a dozen in "Class B", so plenty of opportunity to go pot hunting in that too!

Or just put the money down on a MotoGP bike and race with them? I hear they're going to Assen next year...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!

Last edited by antonye : 11-Dec-2009 at 12:10.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 15:04
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Or just put the money down on a MotoGP bike and race with them?

Thought of that Option
Do you think I would be allowed to enter a Cross-plain cranked R1 modified along the lines that WCM did a few years ago

Failing that option are there any Cat C 848s about going cheap, I have a rider in mind that already has the spares required to prep it for racing, then I can have working holiday at WDW as well as Assen. I already have a offer to go and help a team out in another class at Assen as well as at the IOM

Wasn't it WDW2009 that was discussed at Brands in 2008, the event was then postponed for another year (probably heard the DD lot could be in town )
Not suprised the 848 series gets the Nod after all not only have they got Ducati UK backing the series but also the Ducati Factory would prefer to support a series for a current model over a series that uses bikes some of which they ceased producing over a decade ago