Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 21-Dec-2004, 02:33
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
internet domains - bandwidth question please...

ok, I know, I'm a technophobe so this might be a numpty question but not as numpty as I'll look when I'm stuffed in the hay at the first corner of desmodue so I'll ask anyway...

I want to get some webspace cos the freebie nthellworld space is just not pleasing me.
I'm looking at a package that says I get 1gb webspace with 5mb bandwidth. But what does it mean by "5mb bandwidth"?? What on earth is bandwidth???

Old 21-Dec-2004, 08:55
BSB Star

I'm in the same boat as you, i use one & one for my site, more than enough bandwidth. I think Ozz uses the same people for his site. I'm in the process of changing my site style, which is taking me forever, as I'm rubbish at this sort of thing. But with the package you get with 1 & 1 you get all you need. The basic web design programme is a good starting point, mine is one of the basic pages. Worth a look in my view, and they are average to good in support in a stupid moment. All you need to do is make sure you're anti pop up software is set to allow from them. They have a free trial area where you can make ya own site, just to sample the goods. Bandwidth is very good. Just depends which package you use. There are quite a few to choose from.
Old 21-Dec-2004, 14:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
1Gb of webspace - this means you get upto 1Gb of storage space to store all of your files on for your website.

5Mb of bandwidth - this is how much people can download from your site before your ISP will "disconnect" your website. It's usually quoted for a given time, so it may be 5Mb per day, or 5Mb per month.

How much they download can be anything - any file on your website. So if you have a web page which is 2Kb and a few images on there which total 58Kb, then one person downloading that page and the images takes 60Kb off your bandwidth allowance. Your ISP will not deduct FTP access from this bandwidth for when you're uploading files to your website.

5Mb is not a lot at all! Are you sure it's 5Mb and not 5Gb per month? That's about right for an NTL package (I get 20Gb per month and have unlimited disk space with my ISP) and unless you've got horrendously large images and/or large video files, you should find it's plenty.

Reading that again, you may well have got them round the wrong way - you're more likely to have 5Mb of webspace to store you files (which isn't a lot) and 1Gb per month Bandwidth.
Old 21-Dec-2004, 17:13
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
thank for answers.

sorry, I read it wrong.... it's "1000 Mb storage/5 GB bandwidth" for £50 a year.
so that's not bad I guess.

I now consider myself enlightened!
Old 21-Dec-2004, 17:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
thank for answers.

sorry, I read it wrong.... it's "1000 Mb storage/5 GB bandwidth" for £50 a year.
so that's not bad I guess.

I now consider myself enlightened!

That's not too bad, but I get unlimited disk space and 20Gb per month for £100 quid plus VAT, along with a free domain name too