Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2003, 21:35
Mille

Mood: In The
Please help a mechanical biff

Hello chaps,
Now before I get flamed I know this has been discussed before, I've read the threads but am still a bit perplexed as I am to mechanical stuff what Rick Waller is to the 110m hurdles.
Firstly I was going to ask about chain adjustment:sat on/off the bike/on its side stand or paddock stand etc but this has been discussed in Rattlers recent thread. What I cannot get to grips with however is this eccentric hub thing, that should set the axle at the 4-5 o'clock position, and not set higher that 3 o'clock. I just don't know what I'm looking for. I know its in the hole in the swingarm. Sorry if this seems 'being thick' to some.
Thanks,
Matt748

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by matt748]
Old 09-Jun-2003, 22:08
Bevel Head

Mood: what mood
no stop right there!!!
first the eccentric hub adjustment is not in the hole look to the inside of the rear sprocket and theres what seems like a piece of steel that looks like it missing teeth (proably better to take pic)well
thats the adjuster but first loosen the two bolts on the hub by the side of the adujster turn it anti clock wise to tigten the chain and clock wise to slacken the chain.
the chain should have about 30mm of play when on the side stand.

not seeming to be rude but i think you should get a haynes manual.
cheers
scoot
Old 09-Jun-2003, 23:46
Mille

not seeming to be rude, but..

Scoot,
Thanks for your post. I have adjusted the chain many times before and don't have a problem with that (although people seem to have different methods which was going to be my question), but it's this 4-5 o'clock position stuff I'm not sure about. This is from a previous thread: "The rear axle position should always be on the bottom half of the clock face (ie below the eccentric axis.) If it is set higher than the 3o'clock midpoint there could be inadequate clearence between the lower run of the chain and the swingarm. You also lose tyre to hugger clearence."
This is what I'm struggling to visualise. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post
Not wishing to be rude, but I have a Haynes (which isn't too clear in this particular case) but prefer the expertise from some of the club/board members.

Matt

Old 10-Jun-2003, 01:00
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Matt, I think that you have to imagine a center line through the axle. Then with the hub as the clock face.

Jon
Old 10-Jun-2003, 02:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

This may help ...
Old 10-Jun-2003, 10:51
Bevel Head

Mood: what mood
matt 748
sorry i must of read the post wrong

cheers scoot
Old 10-Jun-2003, 12:46
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Shazaam ,
Is that pic taken at the stock position ???
Old 10-Jun-2003, 13:35
Big Twin

A picture tells a thousand words!

Great diagram Shazzam.

Hopefully Matt you can now see how by rotating the hub (as you do when adjusting the chain) the position of the spindle actually changes (moves around the clock face). Not only does this effect chain tension, but it also will cause the ride height to change, i.e. the ride height at 12 O'clock (spindle at top) will be lower than 6 O'clock (spindle at bottom). This is why you often hear people advising to make a note of your ride height before adjusting you chain, as any adjustment to the hub (to tighten or loosen the chain)will have a direct effect on the ride height.

So...as shown above, the ideal area for the spindle is in the 4-5 O'clock position. It gives a longer wheel base (aiding stability) yet still allows for some chain adjustment if required. The ride height can then be adjusted seperately via the tie rod to acheive the required height/handling characteristics.
Old 10-Jun-2003, 17:28
Mille

Thanks for the posts and advice chaps, and cheers for the great diagram Shazaam. Everything is much clearer now.

Oh, and Scoot: No need to apologise, I didn't explain very well in the 1st place.
Don't think I'll be applying for that Ducati technicians job just yet

Matt