Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-Mar-2013, 04:19
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Front spindle spacer

I've recently aquired Badger a new front wheel, however the spindle isn't the same diameter as my present one. It's 20mm as opposed to 25mm.
I've changed the wheel bearings so they are the same as my old and will take my spindle, but there's also a spacer who's internal diameter is too small . It goes between the bearings inside the hub.
Q1. Is it there to prevent you overtightening the spindle/spacers agianst the bearings and breaking the flange that the bearings sit against?
Q2. If Q1 is a yes, does anyone have a spare they would sell or swap for my smaller one?
Q3. Is there anything else I've not picked up on?

Thank you in anticipation of a guru-esque answer.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 03-Mar-2013, 09:33
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Hi Scott, its there to prevent putting a side load to the bearings, ball bearings don't like side loads. (Unless its angular contact) So length is the critical factor between the two bearings

If that distance is the same on both of your wheels, or measure the length of both spacers. You should be able to use your old spacer.
Old 03-Mar-2013, 11:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Length is slightly different, which is why i sue to make them in my previous job
If the new wheel is the older type and used as a spare wheel I would suggest getting a Spacer made, then you will require different spacers on the spindle.

You could try using the later style spacer but don't complain if the wheel moves off centre while your riding, just ask Andy Shepard about that one

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Mar-2013, 13:01
DSC Club Member
500SD

Thank you gurus.
So my best (and safest) course if action would be to maker a spacer to fit between the inner faces of the bearings, then, if the outers are different, make 2 spacers to equal that out. That way I don't need to swap anything on the wheels to change them?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 03-Mar-2013, 18:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Correct
The out race of the bearings get driven into the wheel until they are up against the casting, the inner races should then be up against the inner spaces so when everything is tightened up there is no side load on the ball races.
And as you do want everything to be tight and central you will need spindle spacer to suit

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Mar-2013, 20:27
DSC Club Member
500SD

Thanks to you matey.
So I'll measure between the inner faces on my new wheel to get my spindle spacer length and then the outer face distance on my old wheel to determine how much to space the bearings out to suit my spindle!
Should've just got the right size wheel in the first place!

Not got a spare set you want to swap have you? Mine have got a lovely new white powder coating!

Scott #50
Old 05-Mar-2013, 23:03
DSC Club Member
Mille

2 things,
1 length is quite often a factor (or so im told )
2 i have a spare spacer (will bring to snet) but if yours is too long cant you cut it down to suit ? or am i getting confused with your internal and external

a bloke stopped me on the way to work this morning,he asked if there was a B and Q in coventry,i told him no i think you will find them in QueBec !!!doh see you all at snett