Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Sep-2009, 13:31
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Col, as I said, 5.5" rear wheel = 180/55 ZR17, 6" rear wheel = 190/50 ZR17.

You have a 5.5" rear wheel.

Regards.

How does one know that their wheel is 5.5"? Is it marked in some way?
Old 01-Sep-2009, 15:43
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I'm pretty sure its cast into one of the spokes Col.

As for mixing tyres, I ride mixed tyres all of the time (always use bridgestone front), and have never had an issue.
I also can't tell the difference between 180 & 190 on the rear. Change the width or profile of the front though and its a whole different ballgame
Old 01-Sep-2009, 20:11
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
How does one know that their wheel is 5.5"? Is it marked in some way?

Its marked on your wheel Col, in one of the 5 spokes.
Old 11-Sep-2009, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef
Agree with the not mixing - have done it & regretted it....

Also check you have clearance for a 190-55 as they can foul the exhaust

Done it with several tyres, sometimes works really well.

Sometime doesn't, tends to depend on difference in profile and carcass weight v suspension & geometry settings. Probably though, the single biggest factor in making it work is matching the hot tyre prssures for each tyre type / make - thats the trial & error bit were it gels or goes horribly wrong.
Old 11-Sep-2009, 01:25
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
I'm pretty sure its cast into one of the spokes Col.

As for mixing tyres, I ride mixed tyres all of the time (always use bridgestone front), and have never had an issue.
I also can't tell the difference between 180 & 190 on the rear. Change the width or profile of the front though and its a whole different ballgame

i noticed a real difference on my old 916 which came with a 190/50 fitted,i couldnt get it to drop into the corners like i wanted/expected, fitted a new 180/55 to it and it felt a completely different bike and handled like a dream round cadwell. everyones different but i thought there was hell of a difference
Old 08-Jun-2010, 13:31
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
...and if you bung a 200/55 on and zoop ovr a humpback bridge in wales, this'll happen!

incidentally, it hasn't slowed the steering but i'll never get closer than 10mm to the edge - on a 6" wheel it's curved round a bit too much. Not a size i'd normally go for, but 2 x rears and a front D211's for £47 on ebay was too good to resist.....
Old 08-Jun-2010, 13:43
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

My rear has had it (underlined by its stepping out on a clumsy downshift in the wet on Sunday), and I'm looking fwd to making the shift from 190/50 to 180/55. It certainly doesn't fall into corners at present.

(I fancied trying the new Rosso Corsa (which replaces the Diablo Corsa III), or maybe the Mich Power Pures, but there's still lots of tread on the front, which is a Diablo Corsa (pre-III). The Corsa III has the same tread pattern as the Corsa, but the Rossa Corsa is different, so unless I elect to chuck a perfectly decent front away I think I need to put a Corsa III on the back, even though it's being replaced. Um, thanks for listening...)
Old 08-Jun-2010, 17:31
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbett
(I fancied trying the new Rosso Corsa (which replaces the Diablo Corsa III), or maybe the Mich Power Pures, but there's still lots of tread on the front, which is a Diablo Corsa (pre-III). The Corsa III has the same tread pattern as the Corsa, but the Rossa Corsa is different, so unless I elect to chuck a perfectly decent front away I think I need to put a Corsa III on the back, even though it's being replaced. Um, thanks for listening...)

eh? um, er. wibble? am i the only one that gets confused with the Pirelli options? i've only ever used the old supercorsas previously which were luvverly in the dry and vile in the wet...
Old 16-Jun-2010, 15:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There is a £25 cashback deal on Diablo Rosso corsa's at the mo.

here

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/brows...FlyerApril.pdf

I'm gonna get a set for cadwell. Probably 190/50 or (thats what pirelli recommend) just a bit worried that a 190/55 won't clear the exhaust on the 998r, might even stick with a 180/55 as that what's on at the mo, I just can't tell the difference.

Just used a set of Corsa III for a trackday and 4000 plus miles on the road, they are squared off after a long road trip but still life left in them for bimbling about on the road, well impressed.

Ray

Last edited by Ray : 16-Jun-2010 at 15:36.
Old 16-Jun-2010, 19:12
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkati
eh? um, er. wibble? am i the only one that gets confused with the Pirelli options? i've only ever used the old supercorsas previously which were luvverly in the dry and vile in the wet...

You certainly are not. Not long ago I posted in another place as follows:

"As an aside, what bone idle sod is in charge of product naming at Pirelli? I'm thinking of some new boots on my 998. I know from changing tyres on the SS last year that the Diablo Rosso was replacing the Diablo. Or at least some dealers say it is; others insist they'll be available in parallel. But the Rosso is newer, ok, must remember that. I go check. Now there's a new tyre, the Rosso Corsa. I thought there was a Diablo Supercorsa SP - there is, aaaaaagh. And of course there's the oh-so-easily distinguished Supercorsa Pro. Is that the 3-compound one? No sir, that'll be the Diablo Corsa. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

So in their sports range alone there's a Diablo, a Diablo Rosso, a Diablo Rosso Corsa, a Diablo Supercorsa SP, a Dragon Supercorsa Pro, and a Diablo Corsa III. Simples.

I'm going to switch to Michelin 2CTs just cos I can remember their f***ing name.

Thanks, I feel better now."