Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:55
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

50mm and 54mm Termi systems

Having just got a full termi system on the 998R I got to play with the vernier caliper and noticed a couple of things:
a. it is the outside diameter of the pipe that is 53-54mm.
b. the inside diameter of the exit pipe from the cans is 46mm!

On another 50mm set of Termi cans the exit diameter is 48-49mm. So... larger than the 54mm cans (Doh!)

Is there someone out there who knows what the dimensions should be? I would have thought 54mm referred to the internal diameter (maybe it does and I've been duped?) . Though having said that, my 50mm pipes are 50 mm Outside Diameter.

Glad if anyone can explain. (Shazaam out there....?)
Old 09-Oct-2005, 12:02
Montjuic
Bikes: 998R.

Mood: Onshore and happy.
it sounds as though the new system you have is one that meets the 102db limit.The cans that meet the lower limit are tapered and have a smaller outlet than normal.I take it these are not the cans you got with the bike as standard.
Old 09-Oct-2005, 19:32
GTL

Thanks for that.

I just bought the bike and am doing that thing where you inspect everything that you hadn't looked closely at when I bought it and just noticed this. I got the regular 50mm system and attached to the bike, a full 54mm system with Ti end cans (obviously with the tapered ends).

Do you know what the race system diameter is that was originally supplied with the 998R?
Also, is it possible to get 54mm Ti end cans that are not tapered?

Thanks in anticipation
Old 11-Oct-2005, 02:43
Montjuic

Hi Stealth2,

It is possible to get the full race pipes for the system.You could try and get replacement cans that are not tapered.Any decent Ducati dealer should be able to help you out with that.
As you have said the diameter mentioned in regards to pipes are the outside diameter.

As far as i am aware the cans that come with the 998R as standard are 50mm.
You will notice a slight difference in some areas depending on where you take the measurment.

I changed my system to a full 60mm system last year though so i would not be able to check mine and let you know.
Hope this is of some help to you.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 08:44
GTL

Grateful for the information.

How well does a 60mm system work? Did you have any other engine mods or was it on a "standard" 998R?
Old 12-Oct-2005, 02:57
Montjuic

I have heavily modified my engine.Different crank different cams and some other parts have been changed out as well.
I originally was going to fit a 55mm system to the bike but was told by someone with a lot more knowledge than me that if i was going to modify the engine there was no point in fitting a 55mm system as this would restrict any other mods.I needed to change to a 60mm system to get any real benefits of the engine work.
I don't think i would go down the modifying route again because there were so many extra costs involved it got scary.

Also the other thing to think about is the fact that my bike now needs to be warm before it will tick over and it is absolutely useless at anything below 40mph.So if you want to use the bike on the road my advice would be to maybe change the Flywheel and fit a slipper clutch.Other than that leave it standard.

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by sps955]
Old 12-Oct-2005, 15:24
GTL

Wise advice.

Think the only mods I am inclined to make are the brakes which though good aren't a patch on the previous AP set up I had on the 996.

Actually, this has the ring of famous last words..... the only mods I am going to make......£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Old 12-Oct-2005, 22:17
Montjuic

I changed my brakes for ap calipers and discs as well.I also fitted radial master cylinders.Like you said in another thread they actually touch the clocks when you go on full lock.The longer bars sorts that out.