Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Dec-2005, 17:53

2002 748s Servicing / General Problems

Hi,

I'm new on here and quite new to Ducati's so have a couple of questions.

I bought the above bike in August (what a machine I have always dreamed about owning a 748 after 6 years of Sv650 ownership). Anyway it came with full dealer history and 4,500 miles on the clock. The major belt service was done before I bought it and it's only covered about 500 miles in the interim. It will be due a service in the spring before I bring it over to Norway where I am now based.

I would normally say it would just need an oil and filter change but I am used to Jap bikes. Does anything else need looked at, at the same time?

Also you may, or may not be aware, that Norway is a very expensive place to live and car / bike servicing is mega expensive, at least double that of the UK!! So is there anything I should be doing on a 3 year old 748 from a preventative maintenance point of view before I bring it over to Norway?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Craig

P.S. Excellent website by the way
Old 28-Dec-2005, 18:10
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
yeah you want to get the Rockers checked, they are about £65 a piece i think... so if you need a few it stacks up a lot.
Old 28-Dec-2005, 19:09
Ducati Corse

More like £105 each steve!
Old 28-Dec-2005, 22:34

That'll be about £300 each in Norway then!!

How do they tell if anything is wrong with them. Visual inspection or something?

Anything else I should look out for on the electrical side? Or anything else that 748's are prone to?

Cheers
Craig
Old 28-Dec-2005, 22:56
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Check the connector block on the wiring between the generator & the rectifier...... if yours is a dirty brown / grey molten mass, change it for some good quality bullet connectors.
If yours isn't as described, change it because it soon will be!
For the rockers, if one or more are worn you can see where the plating has worn away or chipped off.
Old 28-Dec-2005, 23:17
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
[i]

Also you may, or may not be aware, that Norway is a very expensive place to live and car / bike servicing is mega expensive, at least double that of the UK!!
Craig

P.S. Excellent website by the way

Sounds like you will be splitting your time between Norway and the UK .... I'm sure you have thought of it, but, time your service when the bike will be in the UK and save some cash.
Old 29-Dec-2005, 10:43
Big Twin

£105... damn that's a pretty penny or three...
Old 30-Dec-2005, 16:58

Thanks for the words of wisdom and don't worry all the servicing will be done in the UK!!

The rectifier in question, where is this located? I have never had the fairing panels off so have no idea.

Craig
Old 30-Dec-2005, 17:02
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by superchargedpolo
Thanks for the words of wisdom and don't worry all the servicing will be done in the UK!!

The rectifier in question, where is this located? I have never had the fairing panels off so have no idea.

Craig

right hand (throttle) side of the bike, under side of battery. Small rectangle with wiring harness and 3 yellow wires going to it.