Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Dec-2005, 15:15
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
50mm Headers for 998

Hi Folks,

I'm having some fettling done to my 998 in a few weeks and would appreciate any wisdom available on header pipes.

The bike is a 998Bip with S cams, 996R ICU and 45/50mm Termis.

The work being done is full gas-flow for the cylinder heads, upping the comp ratio to 12:8 to 1 and setting the squish.

What I am trying to find out is:

- How much will the standard 45mm header part of the exhaust restrict the potential output of the tuned motor?
- Are there any actual benefits to retaining the 45mm headers?
- Does anyone know of a reasonably priced solution to getting 50mm headers to fit? (I know that 998S or R 50mm headers can be modified to fit, but buying these, plus the crossover, and getting them expertly modded in going to be pricey).

I don't want to go any larger than 50mm for a wholebunch of reasons, which is why I'm asking all these Q's.

Spinoli
Old 14-Dec-2005, 15:41
Big Twin

I can only imagine that the 45mm you have at the moment must be restricting it, particularly after the work your going to have.

When you think that a 45mm system is standard on a stock 748BP, then surely your 998 with higher comp/cams etc must be struggling to breath properly.

I see no reason why a 50mm full system shouldn't be used, and would think that you may be better off with something as big as 54mm. Especially as you are getting the other bits done, you could get the ECU etc set up to run sweet as a nut at the same time.

Its been said before that its not all about the overall size of the pipe, but if you are having engine work done, then it is definately benificial.

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Harv748]
Old 14-Dec-2005, 15:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by spinoli1
and getting them expertly modded in going to be pricey).
Spinoli

So what is the matter with the piece of wood and lump hammer method..
As you are upgrading your motor to somewhere around S spec I would think the 45mm part of your exhaust will be starting to restrict things, A full 50mm S system with open cams should be the way to go, any bigger and it will have to be specifically designed for the Bip engine to clear the 5ump which is already a major problem with the 50mm S system that I happen to run on my 998, even when I fitted the 54mm half system this pulled the modified front cylinder pipe hard up against the engine so it was soon returned to 50mm cans and crossover. I have trie various ECUs but can't say any of them have been perfect so a while back I purchased a DB tronics add on fuel trimmer and was going to fit it early in the new year but earlier this week I won a USB powercommander on Ebay so I will now be fitting that instead. Then I hope to have it on the Dyno to see what power my 998 Hybrid has.
Old 15-Dec-2005, 10:44
Mille

Have any of you fitted 50mm front pipe from an "S" or an "R" to a shallow sump Bip motor?

If so, how much modding is needed?

Plus, where can I get the 50mm front pipe, rear header and crossover at a sensible price?

I'm sticking to 50mm 'cause I have been repeatedly pulled for non-approved cans, and now have to run standard cans or get crucified. I'm in Jersey, so it's the same plod who keeps pulling me.

I have 50mm standard cans and 50mm Ti Termis, which I put on for the track. The PC111 has (will have) suitable maps for both sets.

Spinoli
Old 15-Dec-2005, 12:38
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Ive got a modded 2" bore hose pipe in my garden to water the flowers. Trouble is they are all dying of thirst as ive got a 1/2" spout on the end.........................

Whats the point of any head port work if the exhast isnt matched to the head?
Old 15-Dec-2005, 14:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Have any of you fitted 50mm front pipe from an "S" or an "R" to a shallow sump Bip motor?

Spinoli

If you read my post above you will see that I have
Old 15-Dec-2005, 15:25
Mille

Sorry skidlids - I didn't read carefully enough and thought you were on a 54mm pipe. Do you have any pics of the 50mm front pipe intalled?

How did you get the 50mm front pipe to fit - just whack it into place? Wood and lump hammer sounds like you may end up with some dents or creases.

As for why I'm asking in the first place -

A mildly fettled 998S is good for 140 to 145 rwbhp with the standard 50mm full system.
My Bip as stock felt like 115-118 on the arse dyno.
With the cams, ICU and 45/50mm system I guess I have about 125rwbhp using the same measuring technology.
What I want to know is whether the 45mm headers will prevent me getting up to about 140 with the gas-flow, mapped PC111 and c/r bump, and if yes, is there a trade off in better mid-range.

I know that with the cams, headwork, PC111 and so-on I could be going for 150rwbhp and more if I got a 54 or 57mm system/pistons, but the costs and the need to run stock 50mm cans for the road dictate my choice.

Also, standard rods, Bip cases and stock crank all make me wary of going for mega horsepower (anyway, I've got to leave something for 2007).

Spinoli
Old 16-Dec-2005, 15:57
Mille

50mm manifolds, headers and crossover located and ordered.

Should be enough for now, I hope.

Spinoli
Old 16-Dec-2005, 16:44
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
50mm manifolds, headers and crossover located and ordered.

Should be enough for now, I hope.

Spinoli

welldone, now get the headers matched to your port work.................
Old 16-Dec-2005, 16:59
500SD

If you are having trouble with the local plod can I suggest that you swap the Termi's for a set of Arrows.

www.arrow.it part number 50mm Titanium Road Approved silencers (right and left) 71640PO

These have the removeable baffle are "E" marked and even have a certificate of homologation

You can only dream of the coppers face when you present the certificate