Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Aug-2006, 20:12
500SD

Paddock Stand/Bobbins

Are there any tried and tested alternatives to the standard bobbins and FG type stand.Probably my poor technique,but engage the left side,then as the bike comes towards the vertical its a pain to engage the right hand side,slips off.Visions of one day missing and ... crash.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 01:28
GTL

Get an ABBA stand???

Andrew
Old 01-Sep-2006, 08:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have a Harris stand. Doddle. I engage both sides while the bike is tipped over on the side stand. Rock the two vertical together, no issues.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 10:28
DSC Club Member
500SD

I have a Harris too so do the same as Rob. You could try making your stand hooks static by putting lots of bolts or washers on the hook sliders, so they are effectively locked in the correct position.
Old 02-Sep-2006, 02:31
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
For what it's worth...takes a bit of practice, I guess years of doing it with racebikes helps, but I do this. Make sure the bike's on a reasonably level surface. Engage a gear. Standing on the left of the bike, lift it off the sidestand. Then put your right hand onto the bit of pillion seat which sticks out proud at the back of the riders seat. Let go of the left bar and put both hands here to keep the bike upright. Move slowly round to the back of the bike. Pick up the paddock stand which you've already put next to the back of the bike. Holding the bike up with your left hand, engage the paddock stand with the other hand. Once the forks are firmly into the bobbins, putting pressure down on the stand keeps the bike upright. Then push the stand all the way down with your right hand and hey presto she's up. I can also take it off the stand the same way. Obviously reverse the proceedure if you're left handed, and if you have only one arm you're screwed )
It's a bit unnerving at first but honestly it becomes second nature after a while. Practice first with some crappy Jap superbike first..! In 18 years I've never dropped a bike and no one's been hurt...yet.