Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Aug-2005, 14:03
Mille

Mood: Replacing 999...
Hi Mad Dog,

Excuse my ignorance (I am sure someone will tell me if i am wrong) but my 999 got very hot in the summer. I spoke to pro twins and they told me that most of the problem was due to the catalytic converters (they only operate at higher temperatures) and that the best way to solve it was loose the cats.
Mind you it was probably Brett trying to flog me a full leo vince or termi system being closer to the truth.
I dont know if you have catalytic converter on your bike, if so where its mounted.
Just a different angle to look at it from maybe?
Old 22-Aug-2005, 14:56
Big Twin

Gold.
Make it out of Gold. Just like the MacLaren heat shield.
Old 22-Aug-2005, 16:18
Ducati Corse

Be careful though, air needs to circulate around that area to keep the rear shock cool.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 03:50
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

okay, gold shield with good air circulation and no cats....Hmmm, let me work on those parameters. Actually, I think the rear exhaust coming out right under the tank/seat area is the culprit. I would just like to redirect some of that heat without reducing heat transfer from the exhaust manifold or sending the heat somewhere it shouldn't go. I am just imagining for the moment a shield that would aim downward following the curve of the pipe, without getting too close or interfering with the rear shock. Hopefully, a good design would send a lot of that hot air down towards the wheel and dissipate it enough to reduce some of the lovely heat that makes for toasty thighs.

Paul, did you know that the first Israeli air force consisted of re-engined ME-109's. Bizzare! Nazi engineering saving jews...
Old 23-Aug-2005, 09:34
Ducati Corse

I didn't know that. Re-engined with Merlins by any chance? They call them Buchon over here which means pidgeon becasue they look a bit like one.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 10:03
500SD

Nope, they were Czech in origin, but don't know about the engines. Could be skoda or tatra versions of the Me original.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 10:15
500SD

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14 with Jumo 211F engine.....wonder if we can put one in a Monster frame??
Old 23-Aug-2005, 19:44
Montjuic

I have also noticed that the fuel tank gets very hot due to the heat from the exhaust. Very worrying with all that flamable petrol sloshing about!!

Is this normal for the ST4s? I have only noticed the warm leg syndrome on my previous Dukes.

Daryl
Old 24-Aug-2005, 08:03
500SD

I don't see why it woulod not be normal after looking at those two exhaust valves exiting right under the tank. Didn't really notice the heat until it started to warm up here and now with summer in full blast it is more than noticeable in traffic. Hven't heard of any exploding ST's though.