Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Aug-2005, 11:03
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

On Sunday afternoon I removed the ride height adjuster, loosened everything off and put it back to together with plenty of waxoil as advised by Jools. I adjusted it for about 12mm clearance between the tyre and the ground ( the tyre is nearly worn out so I expect the gap to be about 8mm with a new tyre). I can see that there might be stablilty problems with the side stand if I lengthen the rod much more.
Then the rain came on so I haven't been able to try it out yet
Old 29-Aug-2005, 11:06
Ducati Corse

Ah yes, the side stand. I hadn't thought about that. Mine leans a long way anyhow ever since we took the ferry to france and they were a bit enthusiastic with the tie downs. Bikes were parked so close together that i couldn't get it on the main stand.
Old 29-Aug-2005, 17:29

Mood: Feeling better
This morning I finally got around to raising the ride height (been a little distracted recently) and can't wait to go for a run. The adjustment was very easy, even for a workshop novice like myself.

It needed doing, it was set to the lowest ride height possible. The previous owner must have been short. The rear tyre now is just a little clear of the ground when on the stand.

I'll let you know if it feels different.
Old 31-Aug-2005, 00:18

Mood: Feeling better
Noticed an immediate and significant difference (in addition to my backside clearly being further from the ground). Turns in even sharper (in a very good and predictable manner), the front seems evenmore solid (not that it was a problem before), be bike has a more sporty stance and feels a more sporty riding position. Also, while I haven't pushed really hard yet, I have had it well cranked over and the cans didn't ground (even with panniers on).

So all good! The two noticable downsides are:
a) the side stand has become more unstable as the bike is now leant over more with more weight on the stand (is this adjustable at all?)
b) you notice being that 4cm further into the wind (easily dealt with by bending 4cm further down at three figures).

So thanks to everyone for the tips, seems to have fixed my initial problem. Now on to:
- try to improve the side stand
- airbox mod
- GPS fitting
- etc...
Old 31-Aug-2005, 10:57
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I eventually got out last night and noticed all of the above. The only thing I didn't care for was that now I can only reach the ground with my toes - I felt a bit perched to start with. On the way back I also noticed that the head light aim is even closer to me than before. I will now have to re-align the headlight which is poor enough to start with.
Old 31-Aug-2005, 11:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Ditto that Derek, my stumpy little legs have a job reaching the ground as well when the ride height is wound up and I'm on tip toes - it's worth it though.

Didn't think about the headlight....duuuuh...that's why I can only see two cat's eyes in front
Old 01-Sep-2005, 01:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
nope thats cause your nearly as blind as 4d
Old 01-Sep-2005, 01:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
if your toes are touching down your as far as you want to go !!