Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Nov-2005, 17:37
Montjuic

MOT test - what a joke that is!!

I had to take the bike for the MOT today. Not only was it raining really hard (sideways?!?) the MOT place is down a partially flooded countrylane. The bike had to go through water about 3 inches deep in places and with leaves everywhere the ride was an absolute slippery nightmare.

Anyway...

Its the first time I have ever taken anything for an MOT. I suppose I was expecting a rigourous examination and the poor bike be virtually taken apart. How wrong was I??

You'll have gathered from other messages that, unlike most of you guys, I know virtually nothing about bikes or mechanics. I can check the oil, lube the chain and that is about it...

I swear that even I could have done the MOT. It consisted of checking that the lights, horn and indicators work, trying to wobble the wheels a couple of times, bounce up and down on it and test the brakes on a rolling road that was at nothing more than walking pace. Oh.. and he wobbled the tax disc holder a few times. What was that all about? he didn't check the emissions or how loud the exhaust was.

That was it. That'll be £23.80 please sir.

The whole thing took perhaps 3 minutes?? Not bad money for three minutes work.

What a joke..

So.. I took my new MOT certificate and headed out into the monsoon rain for my lethal ride home...!

Was that a normal MOT??

Dunks
Old 02-Nov-2005, 17:57
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmmm....well, most people would just be glad it passed :P

Seriously, it often doesn't look as if anything astounding is being done, but most MOT testers are pretty thorough. Too thorough most of the time, My ST "failed" the test because it had a loose petrol tank. The tester wouldn't undo the two allen bolts on the ignition surround to see for himself...

I had to borrow a couple of allen keys, take the ignition surround/tank pad off and the saddle to show him that the back of the tank has a damn great pin holding it on and front of the tank is held down by a rubber strap...it was only when he saw that it was built that way and just as Ducati intended that he gave me a ticket on the 'retest'
Old 02-Nov-2005, 17:58
500SD

I have seen both ends of the scale, from 1 guy who took a look at the bike from 10 feet away and said 'looks fine, i really can't be arsed today'
to a thorough 30 minute inspection of my z900.

My last MOT was somewhere in between but still reasonably thorough.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 18:02
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunks
I had to take the bike for the MOT today. Not only was it raining really hard (sideways?!?) the MOT place is down a partially flooded countrylane. The bike had to go through water about 3 inches deep in places and with leaves everywhere the ride was an absolute slippery nightmare.

Anyway...

Its the first time I have ever taken anything for an MOT. I suppose I was expecting a rigourous examination and the poor bike be virtually taken apart. How wrong was I??

You'll have gathered from other messages that, unlike most of you guys, I know virtually nothing about bikes or mechanics. I can check the oil, lube the chain and that is about it...

I swear that even I could have done the MOT. It consisted of checking that the lights, horn and indicators work, trying to wobble the wheels a couple of times, bounce up and down on it and test the brakes on a rolling road that was at nothing more than walking pace. Oh.. and he wobbled the tax disc holder a few times. What was that all about? he didn't check the emissions or how loud the exhaust was.

That was it. That'll be £23.80 please sir.

The whole thing took perhaps 3 minutes?? Not bad money for three minutes work.

What a joke..

So.. I took my new MOT certificate and headed out into the monsoon rain for my lethal ride home...!

Was that a normal MOT??

Dunks

Thats about it now you know how the greasy haired brigade
keep their crap on the road.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 18:12

BFM in shipley (W.york) really p**sed me off at my last mot.
the bike (monster 600) failed because the headlight aim was a little low. most of you will know how the headlight brackets are constructed, and that you just need a little nodge on the headlight to adjust its aim.. well, they wanted to charge me £15 for the pleasure. i rode the bike back home (13miles), to adjust it myself, and book a retest (free within 24h).
retested the next day, and failed again(that's after i waited for 2hours in their car park) too high this time. their price had came down to £10 now, for readjusting it...i was so sick of it i cought up, but needless to say i will never set foot in that place again.

They dont make any money out of the MOT, quite the oposite. so they often try to cut their losses.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 18:23
Ducati Corse

Enmissions and noise levels are not part of the bike MOT. As long as the can isnt stamped "not for road use" or is in the testers opinion "excessivly loud" then it'll be fine.

The rolling road might not be fast but its got a lot of torque which tries to turn the wheel against the brakes.

The guy who tested the Monster was a star. The tail lamp had blown and he replaced it for us free of charge.

Still waiting for a letter about mine becasue the frame number doesnt match the one in the log book!
Old 02-Nov-2005, 18:25
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

For some places that might be normal MoT but it does seem a bit lax.
They should be checking tyres for tread and no cuts or bumps, fork bushes and seals, swinging arm bearings, wheel bearings and steering head bearings, that all the lights are operative and the headlight is aimed correctly, that there is a rear reflector, that the brakes are efficient (using a rolling road, spring balance or gradient), that the barking system is in good condition with no fluid leaks, that there are no leaks in the fuel system, that the seat and the tank are secure. Also that the bars do not affect the throttle when moved from lock to lock and that the riders hands can't get trapped. That the exhaust is in good condition with no leaks and is not excessively noisy. The exhaust no longer has to be BSi marked and there is no emissions test for bikes, as yet.
I've probably forgotten a few items but that's the most of it.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 19:05
Big Twin

"that the barking system is in good condition "

My barking system is in excellent working order!
Old 02-Nov-2005, 20:05
Montjuic

I know we all want an easy life and a piece of paper, but I was rather surprised at how quickly the guy did it. The bike looks immaculate (even in the rain!) so maybe he was happy to just give it a quick once over....
Old 02-Nov-2005, 20:06

Mood: Thinking
Thats about it now you know how the greasy haired brigade
keep their crap on the road. [/quote]

call yourself a biker
go get a scooter