Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Dec-2005, 01:23
Big Twin

track day tyres road/slick

im thinking about tracy day tyres for 2006 and have never ridden on slicks, so i know u need warmers for slicks, come on santa read the list.

what benifit do slick offer, cost/durability/ grip

what make compound of slicks do people recomend how long do they last etc or shoiuld i stay with road tyres, i usually finfd myself at the sharp end of the fast group so i could probably use the benefit of more grip. ive been riding on soft compond supercorsas and 209 this year, and had a few memorable slides (PURP) would the slicks offer any better feedback etc here

just weighing up the tyhe value for money side of the situation as i dont have a money tree, ( santa not brought me one of those yet despite it being on my list 10 years running)
Old 24-Dec-2005, 01:33
Big Twin

never rode on slicks mate.

I am normaly up the sharp end of the fast group as well and I run diablo corsas and normaly sort sldes with tyre presures and maybe run rear damping a bit softer.

My worry with slicks would be if it was wet and all you had were slicks ! slicks in the wet are a no no for mortals like us.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by AGE996]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 01:47
Big Twin

so what do you find works with the tyre pressures. and for damping are you talking about compression/rebound or both.

i was finding a lot of rear sliding a problem

i have wets on spare rims so wouldnt be bothered about riding slicks in the wet, it just shouldnt really happen.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 02:28
Big Twin

Yeah i run 28 to 30 rear presure and soften off the compression damping just to allow a bit more squat. The back end still slides but it is controlable.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by AGE996]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 02:37
Big Twin

Bungi...I know knob all about slicks as I run at the slow end of the inters...but from what I have read and understand from here, there and everywhere is that slicks can be a a very expensive/confusing option.

Unless you really (and I mean REALLY) know your stuff, I've heard that there are a million and one combinations of slick out there. If you are happy to take what your given...go for it.

I always look at things like this and think to the R6 cup boys who probably run 10-15 secs a lap faster the fastest of the fast group, on road legal treaded dunlops.

If you want to blow your money on slicks...knock yourself out, but I would rather spend my money on trying to improve MY ability.

This is not a dig at your ability in any way...just a general obersavtion.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Harv748]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 03:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
This is an interesting point I've been going over in my head. Those of us on here with a fair bit of experience (not me) will be smiling at us as they've been down this road before I'm sure but ...

I can run comfortably in the fast group at pretty much any circuit on a 620 monster on standard diablo's. I'm going to Jerez for a few days at the end of Jan and I'm taking the 998R. It is currently fitted with rennsports that have a few day's under their belt and I'm going to try a set of pirelli slicks out there and see how I get on. I'll put them on after I get to know the track and the rennsports are shagged.

My understanding, from questioning racers etc on this, is that the 17 inch slicks will give a bit more grip, allowing more lean, earlier throttle opening, braking later and leaned over etc ... but lasting longer than treaded tyres and giving you a second or so a lap. 16.5 inch slicks will give you an additional 2 seconds a lap over and above that. Obviously there's a lot more expense in going down this road so I'm not, I'll run the 17 inch versions and see how I get on

So I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone got any laptimes from their trip to Jerez?
Old 24-Dec-2005, 03:44
MotoGP God

And anyone with experience on slicks care to comment on the information I've gathered above? Some experienced comments would be useful.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 10:55
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
"Anyone got any laptimes from their trip to Jerez?"

Jon, lily and i were under 2' 10" with mobile shicanes etc etc.

The 'genuine' fastest of the fastest, were under 2 mins.... 1'58" so on........that said, when my mate went earlier in the year there were 2 16yr old Honda stars on 600s doing 1' 46"!!

That doesnt mean cos your in the "fast" group your fast of course! We timed a lot of people in the "fast" group on our trip and were not suprised by the times!

Jon/lily could explain it better they understood who was a supposed racer and in what!

Oh, you also need to add the "risk" factor in there............just how hard are really going to push on your 998r? more than the DD bike?

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by andyb]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 13:08
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
The fastest I got down to was just a tad over a 2:06 (from the lap timer on the R) in fact I think we all got to about that on the odd occasion, 2:08's/10's were consistent with traffic I guess, I went faster on 209's than I did on 208's if that's anything to go by
Old 24-Dec-2005, 13:33
MotoGP God

Some good advice, thanks guys.

How hard will I push the 998R - not as hard as the DD bike. But I'm not going pish around either. I've got a lot of things I want to work on with my riding and I find that a lot of things only come together for me when I'm in a groove. Then of course I want to try the slicks and see if I can notice the difference and see if I can go a bit harder.

I've heard a rumour that a few Glasgae boys were fairly nippy. Bill around the 2:00 mark and Martin around the 1:55 mark? Sounds like Martin is pretty quick.