Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:25

MTS???

Hi
I just bought a 2003 1000ds on a whim.I also have a 2002 suzuki bandit which isn't a bad bike at all.
Anyway I have only put a couple of hundred miles on the MTS but I cannot take to it at all.Firstly I am not too experienced ,only a year under my belt so far so that might account for some of the complaints I have.
Okay,what is going on with that suspension?It's like riding a pogo stick!Which would be fun except when you are in 2 gear with that throttle control it can get even more erratic.I find it very difficult to ride smoothly,The heavy clutch makes hard work of feathering to try and even out the on /off engine power that seems to beset this beast.Not a town bike!
I also find it hard work on roundabouts.2nd is too lumpy and requires more clutch massaging.First is too snatchy and requires even more massaging!Groan!
Mirrors?What mirrors?They are useless.Too small and too short and they vibrate like hell.
Front screen is useless and lifts me bunnet off above 90mph.
I don't even like the bars/riding position.I find the steering downright weird at low speeds.
Low tank range 110miles
What have I done!!
Or I am still to be convinced?I know there are a lot of modifications you can do to this bike .....but should you have too?Are we not pandering to the Ducati myth/style badge wearing?
When I arrived home with it a neighbour asked if I could cut his grass!
I love the sound though at least.
God I'm depressed!
I allways wanted a duke but maybe this is the wrong one for me.
Any advice,both sensible and critical,is most welcome.
Cheers
Old 17-Feb-2006, 19:11
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by urga
Hi
I just bought a 2003 1000ds on a whim.I also have a 2002 suzuki bandit which isn't a bad bike at all.
Anyway I have only put a couple of hundred miles on the MTS but I cannot take to it at all.Firstly I am not too experienced ,only a year under my belt so far so that might account for some of the complaints I have.
Okay,what is going on with that suspension?It's like riding a pogo stick!Which would be fun except when you are in 2 gear with that throttle control it can get even more erratic.I find it very difficult to ride smoothly,The heavy clutch makes hard work of feathering to try and even out the on /off engine power that seems to beset this beast.Not a town bike!
I also find it hard work on roundabouts.2nd is too lumpy and requires more clutch massaging.First is too snatchy and requires even more massaging!Groan!
Mirrors?What mirrors?They are useless.Too small and too short and they vibrate like hell.
Front screen is useless and lifts me bunnet off above 90mph.
I don't even like the bars/riding position.I find the steering downright weird at low speeds.
Low tank range 110miles
What have I done!!
Or I am still to be convinced?I know there are a lot of modifications you can do to this bike .....but should you have too?Are we not pandering to the Ducati myth/style badge wearing?
When I arrived home with it a neighbour asked if I could cut his grass!
I love the sound though at least.
God I'm depressed!
I allways wanted a duke but maybe this is the wrong one for me.
Any advice,both sensible and critical,is most welcome.
Cheers

Well there's a few things that could be happening here. I'll try and offer a few tips to help.

Firstly, there is a very good chance that (as you say) you are still in the transition phase from a four to a twin. Don't underestimate this feeling, it catches most people out and takes time to get "in sync" with the way a twin performs.

We here this all the time in our store, wait until you've done 500 - 1000 miles or so on the bike it should start to feel a lot more like "your" bike.
If you started on the Bandit (i assume a 600) The throttle response of the MTS will feel very sharp in comaprison to the weaker midrange on the Bandit.

Also, when was it last serviced?

The overly snatchy response could mean it needs a throttle body set-up (part of a service) that could go some ways to helping the issue.

Furthermore, if the fork oil is old and done (again part of the service), you may be getting some bad feel or loss of performance from the front end.

If the previous owner has been mucking with the suspension set up at the front, it could be a mile off, it's very adjustable but take it to someone who knows how to dial it in.

Also, and this may be obvious but is often overlooked - tyre pressures. 32psi in the front and 36psi in the back is popular.

Also check condition of the chain (service). If it is slack / badly worn or over tight, throttle response will be affected.

Another thing to try if you are feeling the clutch is heavy:- use two fingers and pull the lever in to the other fingers on the bar. You shouldn't need to pull it all the way til it hits the bar. This will give you a better feel and you won't need to use as much effort, but it will still operate the clutch fine!

If you still can't get on with that, try a different size front sprocket (1 tooth smaller is popular, bout £20 only!) this will bring the revs up a touch into a different part of the power range

As to the mirrors and screen, well Ducati listened to the suggestions of their customers and made the later model with 40mm longer mirror stalks and a much taller screen.
The 2003 didn't benefit from these mods at that time. These parts can be bought from your local dealer, obviously at extra exspense i'm afraid.

Tank range:- 110 miles is low for one of these, it's probably the fact that the guage is the old style that could be, how do I say, a touch inaccurate!
Some other MTS customers on this site will have better info as to the best idea of tank range, i'm sure one will be along shortly!

Like you say, I think you are still to be convinced. The Multi in my biased opinion is a total hoot and handles like a dream, ask any of the folks in the club that have got them, they are a very popular buy.

I think the massive difference between your Bandit and the Multi is evident just now.

Don't panic, give it a chance and also check out its service history.

I'm totally confident you'll discover the Ducati appeal very soon! Wait for some dry roads and let her clear its throat, you'll change yer tune pretty quick i'm sure!

All the best of luck

Martin
Old 17-Feb-2006, 20:06
GTL

Tank range:- 110 miles is low for one of these, it's probably the fact that the guage is the old style that could be, how do I say, a touch inaccurate!
Some other MTS customers on this site will have better info as to the best idea of tank range, i'm sure one will be along shortly!

Tank range is easily 160-170miles the fuel light comes on around 80miles its the design of the tank with fuel under the seat as well
Old 17-Feb-2006, 20:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Hi and welcome

I think Martin has addressed a lot of the issues very well, but i can add a few comments.

I found that the standard screen on the 03/04 models was rubbish and fitted a Ducati Performance high screen, the highest of the 2 versions available and it sorted the problem for me and i'm 6'3".

The rear preload is set very soft as standard and if you increase the preload (dead easy to do with the remote adjuster) it improves the steering. You can also increase the rear ride height with the rod that is paralell to the shock but this takes a little more time.

The fuel gauge/light is VERY pessismistic, and mine generally came on when i'd only used 12 or 13 litres of a 20 litre tank. Check this out by filling up as soon as the light comes on. It means that you have 7 or 8 litres left. I worked on the principle of doing another 50 miles from when the light came on, and still having a safety margin. Annoying but i just lived with it. It is hard to ignore the fuel light for so long, but believe me its OK. I did Lands End to John O Groats in 16 hours, and the last thing i wanted to do was run out of fuel on that trip, especially in the Highlands.

Changing the gearing 1 tooth on the front sprocket is cheap and will make a lot of difference.

Ducati's take a bit of getting used to, but its a great bike and worth perservering with for a while.

Worth while as a simple measure is setting all the suspension settings as per the handbook. Ride it and see how it feels, then increase the rear preload with the remote adjuster to at least half (thay all seem to come set on minimum), but you may have to increase the damping 2 or 3 clicks to compensate.

Good luck with it.

They are real fun bikes and very verastile.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 20:59
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Everything BDG & Martin said. + fit Termis and CAT bypass by Staintune, give it a few months and you will be smiling every time you sling your leg over it.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 08:31
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Some great advice here,nice one fellas.
Just to echo what the lads have said,
Suspension is very firm at the fronf and soft at the rear as standard.Wind the preload knob up to the 'standard' setting and then a couple more notches.Cant remember the damping setting,but 1 and half turns from fully in seems to ring a bell.
The throttle responce on Ducati's is very direct,...it feels like its connected straight to the rear wheel which will be a very differant feeling to the Bindit.The power pulses from the DS motor can upset the suspension if you are a bit jerky with the throttle in a bend.In time you will learn to be smoother on the gas.
The heavy clutch can be sorted with an oversized slave cylinder.Nelly at Cornerspeed can do you a nice STM jobbie or there are other versions by JHP or MPL in Germany.
Throw away the standard screen and fit the comfort screen,(Same as the '05 bikes),it makes a huge differance.They cost around £60 from a Ducati dealer or you could look on ebay as they often appear there.I dont know if anyone else makes them yet.
Mirrors,as said before,not the best but can be fixed by swapping them for '05 versions or the funky Ducati Performance ones like in Roys signature above.
Try moving the 'bars back or forward in the clamps for a slightly differant riding position.Or you could fit some nice Renthall bars.
And hey,buying bits a peices for the bike is part of the fun!
As for the fuel gauge or fool gauge,as someone called it,...
I always use the trip meter these days as my low level warning light usually comes on around 80 miles,goes out again,then comes on around 110 miles.I can get 140 miles to a tank full,even in full hooligan mode.
The Multi is a great bike and really grows on you.It was the most popular bike in the DSC agm car park so it cant all be bad.
For more help and advice on Multi's,have a look here;
www.multistrada.net

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by KeefyB]
Old 19-Feb-2006, 12:22

Hi Thanks for all the input!
I will be calling into Ducati Glasgow for a suspension tune up asap.
I am interested in the lightened clutch action!What does this cost?Is it a DIY shot or best done by the pro's?
I am getting to grips with the motor but would like it smoother/easier around town.It has the 14T already fitted because the previous owner felt the same about riding about town on it.
I'm off to work on my technique!

Cheers
Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:42
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by urga
I am interested in the lightened clutch action!What does this cost?Is it a DIY shot or best done by the pro's?
The JHP one is £140,I think Nelly does the STM for around £120 and then there are these from MPL in Germany;http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Clutch-...cmd ZViewItem

These usually go for around £90+postage.
Fitting them is a doddle although the bleeding takes patience.If you are off to Ducati Glasgea for your suspension,I'm sure the guys there can help with the clutch.

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by KeefyB]