Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Jan-2011, 14:38
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
potential upgrade...

Since flat's on the market and i might make a quid or two , there's the strong chance that i might be on the lookout for a 998s to replace my 996.

Soooo - i'm fully aware that i'll be forking out a fair amount over & above for what looks like the same bike - hence temptation to go for the "S" version - a significant extra in terms of spec, power & lightness.
Any downfalls? Am i trading for a rev monster that'll be lacking in low/mid range? Am i likely to get something that's likely to be more fragile? Any opinions, good bad or ugly would be very much appreciated, cheers, j
Old 20-Jan-2011, 15:02
Mille

anyone?
shirley there must be some of you who have ridden/owned both types and has an opinion or comparism?
go on - i did ask nicely!
Old 20-Jan-2011, 15:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Swapped from a 996 BIP to a 998r but I have also ridden couple of 998s.

The later engine is a step forward IMHO, smoother and pulls harder.

Some of the differences IMHO depend what model & model year your 996 is. 2000 MY and later 996 got the 5 spoke wheels and nitrided forks.

If it has non nitrided forks (silver sliders) then you should notice a step forward on a 998s as it has nitrided forks.

I didn't find that the **8 felt any lighter than a 6, maybe a few kilos in weight according to the Specs.
There was no difference in steering effort required IMHO.

Some say they like the rawness of the 996 v 998, not me though

If it was my £££££, yep, I go for a 998s over a cooking 998 as well. Much bigger step than going from a 998s to 998r IMHO.

Good luck in finding a good 998s. You might need a big helping of patience

Ray.
Old 20-Jan-2011, 16:15
Mille

thanks very much for that - since moving house it's been a great excuse to dig out all my old bike mags and find reviews of both bikes - homework!
my 996 is a 2000 model - marchesini wheels and nitrided forks. Really really love it but some greedy part of my soul wants more!
Old 21-Jan-2011, 11:22
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkati
anyone?
shirley there must be some of you who have ridden/owned both types and has an opinion or comparism?
go on - i did ask nicely!

Indeed, but I've already given you mine when you asked the same question elsewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Good luck in finding a good 998s. You might need a big helping of patience

- and that was one of them!
Old 21-Jan-2011, 12:57
Mille

ahhh - hedging bets like a goodun i was......i'd popped question here but it seemed uncommonly quiet (is that usual here?) so i went over other side and asked again due to my insatiable need for information!

cheers muchly for reply, j
Old 21-Jan-2011, 17:04
Mille

Given the way the used bike market is sitting at the moment AND the supply/demand for 998 models, have you considered a nice used 848 as an alternative?

G
Old 21-Jan-2011, 22:51
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobert23
Given the way the used bike market is sitting at the moment AND the supply/demand for 998 models, have you considered a nice used 848 as an alternative?

G

Yes, looking at s/h 848 prices the other day, I was thinking that. Unless you're wedded to the 916/96/98 looks, that's well worth considering.
Old 21-Jan-2011, 23:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
James, I wouldn't call the 998 a Rev Monster, although it does need to be revved more than the 996.
I do fing my Hybrid with the 998 BIP engine in it a good all round bike, great around Oxfordshires varied roads and great fun around Cadwell Park etc, not as quick as my 998R and not as torquey as my 996 Bip. All of mine pretty much ride the same having tweaked suspension front and back but each has a slighly different character and I must admit the 998Bip engined bike is probably gives the best of both worlds as its very user friendly

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Jan-2011, 10:59
Mille

cheers once again for the info - muchly appreciated mr skidlids! Incidentally, did you get the pm i sent a while back regarding cambelts and valves? 996 undergoing a process of tlc at the moment and your help would be muchly appreciated and rewarded....
It's likely that i'll carry on with sorting the 996 out and will try to take time to get 998 when the right bike pops up rather than dashing in and grabbing the first thing available - it's all dependant on flat sale anyway.