Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Feb-2006, 21:56
Mille

Quote:
best way to cope with the standard setup is get off the bike before trying to put it on the stand

Hmmm - in the meantime I'll try that.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 23:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The kits that kill the engine if you go for a gear with the stand down are for the later bikes that won't start ith the stand down.
There is a kit available from Ducati to upgrade the older bikes to this type of operation but they are seriously pricey............
Old 15-Feb-2006, 23:09
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Quote:
Originally posted by bolds
By suicide stand do you mean the modded one that stays down and flips you off the first left hander you come to

Seen it twice before including my mate on his 916 a couple of years ago and knackered his hip and does'nt ride any more and a shop that had a virtually new 996sps that someone took for a test ride with the same results....so not something i would do...best way to cope with the standard setup is get off the bike before trying to put it on the stand

Been there done that.... 80mph highside into a very deep lincolnshire dyke........
Leave it flip up cos it hurts if you forget that it no longer flips up.
Glyn
Old 15-Feb-2006, 23:40
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
The kits that kill the engine if you go for a gear with the stand down are for the later bikes that won't start ith the stand down.
There is a kit available from Ducati to upgrade the older bikes to this type of operation but they are seriously pricey............

Ah .... anyone know how much?
Old 16-Feb-2006, 00:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You'd be better off buying a later bike with the new stand fitted............

I think, from memory, it was £300 +

It's a new stand assembly, relays and wiring loom!!

To be honest, if you don't like the stand flicking up on it's own then get the newer plate and nut. You just have to remember to flick it up manually.
If you don't fancy the risk of forgetting, then practically, you're best off leaving it as is.
I modded my side stand. I dropped the bike in a filling station and that was all I needed to convince myself.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 11:26
Ducati Corse

I've also heard parked up bikes being blown slight upright by a gust of wind, the side stand flicking up and the bike falling over.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 12:01
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I had the flip up side stand on my 888 modified so that it doesn't flip anymore. That way it's just the same as my ST2 which never had a flip up stand in the first place.

For me, I just don't like the flip up stands because I always find them very awkward, not to mention the risk of the bike hitting the deck.

As for the danger of leaving the stand down when riding off, well that danger is always there but, c'mon guys, does anybody really need an automatic flip up stand to stop that happening? It's easy to prevent. All I do before I set off is to look down at my toes as I put the bike into first gear...Voila, an automatic safety check just like looking over you shoulder before you pull away
Old 16-Feb-2006, 12:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
I've also heard parked up bikes being blown slight upright by a gust of wind, the side stand flicking up and the bike falling over.

must be some wind to blow up 35 stone
Old 16-Feb-2006, 13:15
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
I had the flip up side stand on my 888 modified so that it doesn't flip anymore. That way it's just the same as my ST2 which never had a flip up stand in the first place.

For me, I just don't like the flip up stands because I always find them very awkward, not to mention the risk of the bike hitting the deck.

As for the danger of leaving the stand down when riding off, well that danger is always there but, c'mon guys, does anybody really need an automatic flip up stand to stop that happening? It's easy to prevent. All I do before I set off is to look down at my toes as I put the bike into first gear...Voila, an automatic safety check just like looking over you shoulder before you pull away

i'm 100% with you on this one mate... Every other bike Manufacturer doesn't use it, how often do we hear stories of people forgetting ? really, next to none surely.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 13:39
Ducati Corse

It happend to my CX500 (!!) dickie!