Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Oct-2006, 12:55
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
I guessed you must just be running the single injector from the pressure setting. Are you planning to upgrade the tb's and go to 4 injectors or is it a case of suck and see how she goes ?
Only reason I ask is that at lower revs with higher fuel pressure settings I would have thought that you would see poor atomisation leading to rough running in the lower rev range.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 13:53
GTL

Mood: anamorphic with overtones of sanguineness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 851neil
I guessed you must just be running the single injector from the pressure setting. Are you planning to upgrade the tb's and go to 4 injectors or is it a case of suck and see how she goes ?
Only reason I ask is that at lower revs with higher fuel pressure settings I would have thought that you would see poor atomisation leading to rough running in the lower rev range.
Not a problem if you use a megazone chip, then you just lean out zone 1 and 2 and may be 3 . See FIM webpage FAQ's
Old 11-Oct-2006, 16:51
GTL

Hi, Neil, the 3 piece carbon airbox is for the mk2 project, but the engine breather catch tank at the rear of the a'box fouls the throttle linkage on the 996sps 4 injector set up, so it's either cut the box??? or fit the linkage from the 851 throttles.
Steve
Old 11-Oct-2006, 21:23
500SD

thanks Griff, had a read of that - forgotten how much info there is on that site.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 21:27
500SD

Steve, not sure of the implications of either one of those solutions - but don't mention chopping the box up, you'll have the carbon bling Police knocking on your door..Anyway it looks much too nice to chop...
Old 12-Oct-2006, 08:58
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
Quote:
i did think of that, but hopefully getting it dynoed and having the PCIII set up in conjunction with the FIM ultimap chip we can sort it. from my one ride on a sp5 (admitedly it's been my only ride on a 4 injector bike) it ran rough as **** down low anyway. i also have the facility to map the cylinders individually, so i'm hoping there is enough adjustability to set it up just right.
Old 18-Oct-2006, 15:51
500SD

you might want to set youself up with an inline pressure gauge - just so that when you come to run the bike you have something that can measure just what is going to the injectors. Changing pressure is a doddle then as you can just take out the alloy end cap on the regulator and adjust on the dyno - worked a treat on mine. I just re-sealed the open end of the regulator with silicon waterproof sealant.
I take it you'll buy the piggy back ultimap chip to allow seperate cylinder mapping ? I bought one and it's a cracker, titled as 955 corse, but am tempted to go for something that will pull the rev ceiling down a little, maybe to 11,500 instead of 12,250.
cheers

Neil
Old 19-Oct-2006, 10:19
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
yep, i have the piggyback chip, i also have mounted a VDO pressure guage permanently under the airbox, it's clamped to the reg and i can adjust it and see a constant pressure without having to plumb in a temporary guage.
Old 19-Oct-2006, 12:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
pull the rev ceiling down a little, maybe to 11,500 instead of 12,250.
cheers

Neil

And how long do you guys expect your pistons to last btw ?
And the cams ?
As far as I can work out, at much above 11000 rpm, they will need replacing on race schedules of about a couple of hundred hours of practical use before they damage something else.
Get someone to work out the piston speed figures properly and change your oil every 10 hours at that rate.
I think you're playing with full-race-spec figures and not factoring in the high maintenance levels that are assumed will go with it.
Or do you accept really high maintenance costs anyway

Just my 2p
Old 19-Oct-2006, 13:29
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
Does anyone have any experience of setting the camshaft timing with vernier camwheels and who sells the parts?

This will be a must-do for the 888 engine at some stage in the future, but it's never too early to source the right knowledge and bits.

Is it done by offset dowels, or adjustable pulleys?

Alternatively, with all of the tools that are required, has anyone had this done by a bike shop in the S.E.that they would recommend?

...and was it worth it?

Cheers