Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Mar-2009, 12:45
Mille

If it offends your sensibilities Paul, DONT READ IT FFS.........
Old 12-Mar-2009, 12:50
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Too late, I'd already wasted my time

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 12-Mar-2009, 12:51
Mille

And even more by posting pointless comments
Old 12-Mar-2009, 13:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Whilst freedom of speech exists in this country we, as fee paying members, are free to discuss any subject we so choose Chris, unless you are suggesting otherwise. And if they are good enough for Guy Martin, I have no qualms with them. So how about you give us the benefit of your obviously vast experience of tyre testing for the series that didnt happen so we can apply it to a series that does happen? ( And no, thats no more condescending than your comment about doing some 'track day testing')
If you have already established that there is a plentiful supply of H rated Diablos for this year then what is there left to discuss?
I, and many others, despite what you think, feel a BETTER deal is available for the series participants, and whilst WE, not you, are the ones that have to fork out for the tyres and the other costs involved, I think its appropriate that SOME of us at least, look to improve the 'low cost' aspect of DD racing which you are all too happy to mention when different changes have been asked about. Development improves the breed and all that.
I am doing this in order to gain facts so that a proper proposal can be put to the RC, so this isnt a debate and if Kev and I choose to discuss something thats happening on privately owned bikes, on privately paid for tracktime, outside of the DD series then I dont for one believe that it is pertinent for you to try to silence such discussion.

David,

Lets be clear here, I am not saying for one moment that this is not a subject that should not or couldn't be discussed with in the DSC, its Forum, etc.

What I have pointed out is that it is not relevant to the Desmo Due series in 2009. The decision for the 2009 season with regard to tyre choice has been made, based on the facts available to the RC & MT at the point the when a decision neede to be made. The options on the table when that decision was made were not just Pirelli and Maxis.

Any decision on tyres in particular has significant safety aspects about it and ultimately the RC & MT have an obligation to provide the riders with a product that is suitable for the application to which it is to be put. At the top of that list must be the safety of the riders, so any change must be properly structured, thought through and unequivical.

As I have already stated at no time has Maxis as supllier or through an agent, had any contact with the Club on the subject of supply or suitability of their products for use with in Desmo Due. Advice was taken as to the potential of use of their tyres for the series, I am not aware of any party that has been contacted that has suggested that they would be a serious alternative to the Diablo's that we currently use. It is clear that you wish to champion their cause single handedly.

I think earlier it was pointed out that not one racer in the IOM could be found to be using these tyres, they are not used for road racing in any significant race series, that we are aware of.

You are entitled to your views and opinions, but that does not mean that the decision with regard to tyres in Desmo Due for 2009 is open for debate and change. I beleive that the rules allow for the riders to express their "concern" for a situation regarding the rules and in the event of that process being followed the RC would of course give the matter proper consideration.
Old 12-Mar-2009, 16:28
Mille

Chris, let ME be absolutely clear....at NO point in ANY of my threads have I ever suggested that 2009 could/should/would be a time to implement a tyre change, and quite rightly, at this stage so close to the start of the season, the tyre choice is made, NO-ONE is quibbling about that, not for a solitary nano second. Thats cleared that up.
Secondly, I do not wish to " champion their cause" single handedly.....having discussed the potential of having a tyre supplier WILLING to supply Class A and B DD participants at a very favourable price, with tyres capable of handling all 65bhp that the BEST of our bikes produce, and that would furnish the Club with the required letters of suitability for use in all UK racing conditions WITHOUT the use of warmers, have a GOOD supply of tyres, provide prizes and cups to the podium sitters, seems to me to be a better deal than the series currently benefits from with Pirelli. I personally have NOTHING to gain from Maxxi's involvement, save any benefit that ALL DD riders would gain SHOULD these tyres be acceptable. I believe that if YOU are taking on the task of doing the BEST for the DD series, then YOU need to doo something to negotiate a better deal for those that PAY to race in DD, and if you dont wish to, then appoint someone democratically that WILL. If the tyre deal IS finalised, then there is no need for your 'discussions' with Pirelli at this stage of the game, if they have already assured you that Diablos WILL be plentiful during this season is there?
Look, all I am interested in doing is getting the paying participants of DD, those that actually pay to 'put on the show' a decent tyre deal IF WE CAN. Just what is it that you all seem to have against that? I have already learned that as a relative newcomer to DSC I am talking to a closed shop, but its time that changed....and I give DD a year in its present format if the current attitude of no communication, no listening to new ideas, rubbishing ANYONE who attempts to do something constructive because it doesnt suit you lot...you have already seen a decent number of riders walk away from it because of it, and believe me, there are many more teetering on the brink.
NONE of this was done by me off my own back....as I already have said, Gordon and I discussed this and I offered to approach Bickers ( Maxxi importers) with a view to THEM putting a proposal....they then asked me if I would just test the tyres ON a DD bike to make sure they are suited. They already have passed all the Euro and UK laws regarding quality standards, construction and use etc, so I dont have to assess that....all that would come at a later date when/if they put a proposal to you lot.......what exactly is it you all have against new ideas?
Old 12-Mar-2009, 16:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
I was VERY happy with the levels of grip available. ......

TBH those running mid to back of pack in DD wouldn't trouble the grip of knobbly tyres so it's irrelevant if someone nowhere near lap record pace likes a particular tyre.
Look all thro all levels of racing and maxxis are not used anywhere on tarmac, that alone is enough reason not to use them.
Tyres are a confidence thing and plenty like the diablo's,Why change something that isn't broken ?

Personally I hated them as I am used to lots more grip, I know if I wanted to race DD I'd have to use them which is why I don't race DD, others are happy as it is but if you don't like it how it is then surely you race elsewhere ?
Old 12-Mar-2009, 16:46
Mille

Then have a race with only three entrants and see how well that goes down.
Old 12-Mar-2009, 16:48
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I am gonna kind stand up for both points being made here.

There is nothing wrong with the Diablos for what we need them to do. However it does look like they 'may' become harder to source and more expensive. They are hopfully being replaced by the Rosso at some point and providing it is in the right rating and size and a suitable price then there is no reason not to continue with them.

However that does not preclude the RC or others - in discussion with the RC -investigating alternatives and putting these forward for consideration for future years. Whether thay are accepted should be down to a number of key features that will be agreed when the time arrives.

The point is that the time to start considering this is now so we don't get caught out next year if things change and we are not in a position to source an alternative at short notice.

As to whether Maxxis are right or wrong.. I don't know tbh! but lets not just dismiss things based on emotion and personalities.

an analogy...
Lamborghini used to make tractors and if you had asked anyone at the time you would have probably been dismissed if you suggested the make a sports car but when they did start they were quite good at it
Old 12-Mar-2009, 16:57
Mille

Thankyou Lily, eloquently put. No use waiting till NEXT season is upon us and neither Rosso nor Diablo are available. Thats all I'm trying to do...have a credible alternative READY in case...I dont care if its Maxxis, Dunlop or whoever, as long as its a decent tyre and we get a decent price. I just cant see why there has to be this ****ging off of any effort to be READY.
Old 12-Mar-2009, 17:05
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
oi.. stop being a little trouble maker

ps.. i have a genuine excuse for why I was getting slower at the end of the season now (in addition to my **** riding that is )

edit---that was directed at Mr Payne