Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Oct-2009, 06:53
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Quick question about the Maxxis tyres - are they willing to sign off their approval for use in both dry and wet conditions? It's not mentioned in the text posted, and if the question hasn't been asked then we can only assume that they are not safe, until proven otherwise?

This goes for any other tyres, not just Maxxis ones, btw.

Lets get this absolutely clear once and for all shall we? This alleged letter from Pirelli DOES NOT EXIST. I have spoken to Steffen Baum, Technical Director of Pirelli Racing and he is aware of the series, and is aware that such a letter was requested, but PIRELLI REFUSED TO PROVIDE SUCH A LETTER. Eddie Wright, a former Pirelli Director who is now MD of Competition Logistics, who run ALL Pirelli race efforts, ALSO confirms this letter does not exist. They have also LAUGHED at the suggestion that they would EVER have written a letter telling us we must use ZR rated tyres, then 2 years on, re write the letter to say they are no longer suitable and that we MUST use H rated tyres.....In fact, Pirelli tell me that for us to use these tyres is a pain in the **** for them, as they do not sell the H rated tyre in the UK so it DOESNT promote their product, and they ONLY bring in 60 pairs a year specifically for our series, and these are ALL sold to Holbeach.....hence the monopoly. The few that are available outside this source are grey imports..........So we have been fed a line on this one, as have Pirelli, who have been told that we as riders have INSISTED on using the tyre we do, and do not WANT to use a better spec tyre....they are bemused to say the least....Please feel free to ask him should you wish to disbelieve what I am saying. A certain member of the race committee that has just resigned has also confirmed from the DSC point of view that this letter does not exist. I think he finally got sick and tired of the bullshit that he has been fed, the way that we and Pirelli have also been fed it....
Old 14-Oct-2009, 10:46
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Lets get this absolutely clear once and for all shall we? This alleged letter from Pirelli DOES NOT EXIST. I have spoken to Steffen Baum, Technical Director of Pirelli Racing and he is aware of the series, and is aware that such a letter was requested, but PIRELLI REFUSED TO PROVIDE SUCH A LETTER. Eddie Wright, a former Pirelli Director who is now MD of Competition Logistics, who run ALL Pirelli race efforts, ALSO confirms this letter does not exist. They have also LAUGHED at the suggestion that they would EVER have written a letter telling us we must use ZR rated tyres, then 2 years on, re write the letter to say they are no longer suitable and that we MUST use H rated tyres.....In fact, Pirelli tell me that for us to use these tyres is a pain in the **** for them, as they do not sell the H rated tyre in the UK so it DOESNT promote their product, and they ONLY bring in 60 pairs a year specifically for our series, and these are ALL sold to Holbeach.....hence the monopoly. The few that are available outside this source are grey imports..........So we have been fed a line on this one, as have Pirelli, who have been told that we as riders have INSISTED on using the tyre we do, and do not WANT to use a better spec tyre....they are bemused to say the least....Please feel free to ask him should you wish to disbelieve what I am saying. A certain member of the race committee that has just resigned has also confirmed from the DSC point of view that this letter does not exist. I think he finally got sick and tired of the bullshit that he has been fed, the way that we and Pirelli have also been fed it....

I have had tyres from a number of UK sources all of whom get them direct from Pirelli (UK).
Paul at SMD Tyres tells me that Pirelli have now passed distribution of the Diablos (H rated or otherwise) to Cambrian Tyres in Wales but that it is still a UK model and still readily available.

Not sure but wasn't it Eddie Roberts who was the former Pirelli Director.
Old 14-Oct-2009, 11:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
I have had tyres from a number of UK sources all of whom get them direct from Pirelli (UK).

Same here, although admittedly my last pair of tyres were purchased in 2007 (just before my big off at Castle Doom!) and they came from my local tyre depot place who had them in stock.

So from a safety point of view, we're fine to just go out on any old set of tyres now, right?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 14-Oct-2009, 11:56
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Lets go for the 100 post again with this one!
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:02
Big Twin

Mood: i'm a grey dude...
tyres are over-rated. rims is where its at
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty
tyres are over-rated. rims is where its at

Now that is an interesting idea! I wonder how much extra performance can be wrung out of a better set of wheels?
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:14
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Now that is an interesting idea! I wonder how much extra performance can be wrung out of a better set of wheels?

Lol, that will open a can of worms

chris
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:28
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Lol, that will open a can of worms

chris

One might suffer from being accused of it being deliberate - in order to lighten the mood and reduce the amount of invective!

However think how much weight could be saved if we allowed plastic rims.
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:42
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
One might suffer from being accused of it being deliberate - in order to lighten the mood and reduce the amount of invective!

However think how much weight could be saved if we allowed plastic rims.

Something like this then, even come in a variety of colours

http://www.skywaywheels.com/products_003.htm

Chris
Old 14-Oct-2009, 12:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Maybe we should see if Polimotor could do pistons for the Class B bikes

http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/scrapbook/004/004.htm

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook