Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2004, 01:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
But the honda's biggest confidence looser for me is that it turns in faster than I can think!!

Nick do you still run the 16" front wheel
Old 18-Oct-2004, 08:41
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
But the honda's biggest confidence looser for me is that it turns in faster than I can think!!

Nick do you still run the 16" front wheel

yep. wanna swap?!!
Old 18-Oct-2004, 11:22
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I must admit that I've gone the other way and fitted 14/40 gearing to mine and absolutely love it! It really helps to move the range of the engine so it makes it easier to ride at 30 and 40 through town, pulls much quicker and still doesn't top out to 150-something.

As for suspension ... that's a whole new can of worms. The best thing I was told by the Ohlins suspension technicians when I had my bike setup on a trackday (with 100% Bikes which cost £35 for a full day of suspension twiddling and was well worth the money!) was that when you press down on the seat (ie, the centre of the bike) it should compress at an even rate both front and rear.

When he first showed me, mine dipped down only at the front which showed that the rear was was too hard which is typical of a biposto bike. By the end of the day it compressed evenly and felt so much better - it took away the remaining rear wheel skipping that I had, even with the slipper clutch - plus they don't work when the back wheel is in the air anyway! The rear static sag was dropped from the recommended 20mm to more like 15mm (he commented that Ducatis perform better like this) which was quite a few turns on the rings. It even felt that the setup was helping me to brake harder too.

So get yourself out on a track and get some quality advice on the suspension as I felt it was money well spent.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 11:57
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

Hello Deej,

I went from an R1 to a 748 and also found the jump to be a bit of shock!
The thing was that I was not expecting the 748 to ride like the R1. I knew that I was getting rid of a rocket ship and the 748 would simply not match it for power and speed.

The thing is that from the first day I rode the 748 I fell in love with it. I have had a life time of big jap bikes ranging from GSXR 1100s, TL1000s ZXR750s right down to NS400rs and RD350s.
I just wanted something that was different, had some character and class. I got just that. A lot of this top speed is for the pub talk and belive me, I have nearly hit the double ton on the main roads!! I guess that I have grown out of that now.

I can say that I do not intend to sell my 748 now. (well unless I win a £1000000!) I have modified my 748 so I suppose I am a bit hypocrite.

Just stick with it as the other members of the board have stated. You wait till the sun comes out in the summer. Set the bike up for you and I bet you will come back after each ride with a smile bigger than any jap bike can give you. I know I do.

Cheers mate, stick with it.

DC.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 12:00
Mille

Mood: building the beast
I was exactly the same mate. Glad its not just me. I wanted to get off 5 mins after i picked it up. It felt like a bloody tractor at first. I nearly fell off at the first round about i came to becase it didnt want to turn in then it just fell on its side. The whole bike just didnt feel like it was working properley. The suspension was harsh and the brakes felt crap. The bike was also feeling really unstable whilst braking. I guess it didnt help that it was getting dark and starting to rain during my 250 mile trip home with it but i felt like i was being kicked in both physicaly and mentaly. I was even wondering why i had just paid over 5 grand for something so agricultual and low tech compared to my trusy old R6 which was just over 3 grand and "better" in so many ways!

When i got home i put it in the garage locked it up and went indoors thinking i had made a mistake. The next day was quite nice so i thought i would give her another chance so went out for a blast. I found you have to ride the bike harder before any of it it starts to make sence. After a week or so i decided the front tyre was due for renewal so went and got one fitted. I went from a 60 profile to a 70 and its like a new bike! I've now got much more confidence in the front end now and feel like i can start to push on a bit.

Im sure that its not as quick as my R6 but IMO that was silly fast anyway.I dont need 150mph! to be honest i dont need 130mph (most of the time) I was expecting allot from this bike and now i feel like its starting to deliver the goods. I find one of the best bits is that you have to try to go fast and so i enjoy it more. I feel like i have actually ridden the bike rather then being taken for a ride.

Im starting to be hooked with this bike now and dont think i will ever go back to a jap 600 (maybe as a second bike though) Its in for its 6000 mile service at the moment so from now on its ALL MINE!

Am i happy?.................................

Yeah - VERY

Stick with it mate! It will turn out great

PS sorry for the long post and any spelling mistakes but i am supposed to be working
Old 18-Oct-2004, 15:35
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
...and a 748 is a match on the road for 996 etc easily, as you can gas it harder and earlier, only really being slower when you have a fast guy behind you coming out of a slow corner/roundabout (eh, skids) who would be quicker on anything than you are!

Enjoy it - and if its ex-Harv its certainly quick enough to overtake me (thanks for the mention Harv!!)
Old 18-Oct-2004, 17:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
must be me then, think i was expecting so much from her that i'd bulit myself up, as a mate said today its a bit like pulling a supermodel only to find out she wasnt that great really.

think it'll take a bit of getting used to,i agree with you chris that first time out you can wonder if you've done the right thing, i know deep down i have a s its a stunning bike which i love already,i just wish i could ride it better and as chris said the first time on a roundabout on the 748 is a hell of a scare compared to the r6 which just drops in.

i rode the rvf to work today and actually forgot how hard it is to get that bike singing and dancing, you really need to work the box and im sure i'll find the duke similair, was going out 4 a hour now as the sun was shining all day but as soon as i opened the garage door it ****ed down, typical !!!

the r6 was a bit silly for topend but it does give you 1 hell of a rush going that fast, i know its legal but hey.

i should be alright when im out with the lads as im probably one of the quickest around the corners ( if not the quickest ) so should be fine if theyre behind me as i can throw her in onto her side and fire her out and leave them eating my rear tyre, waa hey wish the sun would shine a bit more but i suppose it is ocyober

cheers for your messages of support,makes me feel a lot better knowing that im the problem
Old 18-Oct-2004, 17:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
im not gutted weeksy just a tad dissapointed

its still a far superior bike to any of the plain old jap il4's
Old 18-Oct-2004, 17:56
Ducati Meccanica

Old 18-Oct-2004, 18:50
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
yeah, that's the spirit deej!

I really wish I was good enough to use my jap 4 to it's full potential... but in the mean time I'll just be chuffed as a breathing turkey on boxing day that I find so much more speed from the red thing!

Bring on next season, and show me the way to Cadwell!!

[Edited on 18-10-2004 by NBs996]