Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2006, 17:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam!
A DC fuel pump trying to overcome a plugged fuel filter or crimped fuel line can easily draw 15 amps - one of the prime causes of regulator failures. The charging system can't put out the 15 amps at idle so it makes sense that the fuse blows when you rev it.

The mans on it again - I'll second that !
I was sitting here earlier thinking that rings a warning bell about something completely different to the things dave was checking.
Old 03-Jun-2006, 20:42
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
thanks for the suggestions-- but
i have already eliminated the fuel pump by disconnecting at the 4pin plug and it was still the same- just to eliminate the filter i removed the filter that i replaced 2000 miles ago and replaced with a free flow unit i:e a length of fuel pipe so i would say that the fuel pump/filter is out of the equation (and i cleaned the gauze filter by running down to the local petrol station and blowing it out with the airline)
i have traced the red wire from the reg unit to the battery, starter solonoid, fuse box, stop switch, starter switch, and back to the starter solonoid via the red/blue wire cant find a braek or dirty connection - i have also run a continuity test thru the wires to make sure altho i cant see that the starter solonoid would drain the amps from the battery until you hit the starter button
the general relay is working fine
the red/white wire that goes to the charging light indicator is fine
the red black wire that goes to the fuse box then to general relay also checks out ok
i have removed all the earth connections and cleaned and replaced
i have disconnected several other components neutral light switch stand switch brake light switches to try and eliminate them draining the system
so the only thing that is left is the generator /stator itself which i have tested and is showing an out put
either i have two dodgy rectifier units or i have missed something
now sitting in a pile of broken fuses a bike that resembles a plate of multi coloured sphaghetti and maybe a multi meter that tells blatant lies-
i have threatened the bike that it WILL be replaced with a VTR but that hasnt worked either
Old 04-Jun-2006, 21:36
Big Twin

is it possible for genarator/stator to have an intermittent output?
i've checked the wires from the generator there is no evidence of burning or heat build up in the wires
Old 04-Jun-2006, 23:46
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I admire your persistance Dave.

Surely the genny does not make much difference to actually starting the bike? Given that all else was ok - eg the battery and ignition systems etc shouldnt it at least start but flatten the battery eventually - just like a total loss ignition??? Or am I missing something.

Could it be that the battery is duff in someway? Could you blag a new one to try and eliminate that?

Good luck mate.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 06:39
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Mate,you have connected it up the wrong way round!
It should be,
New- old
yellow- yellow
yellow- yellow
both greens- black
red/whites -red

old reg.
red/white-not used
red/black-not used
The new regulator does not use a charging light.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 06:42
Big Twin

i have borrowed a new battery frank
what is happening is that the old reg does not pass current to battery altho everything else works fine
new reg allows bike to start and everything works fine has current to battery (15volts at tickover) but keeps blowing fuses(the 15amp fuse that protects the ignition/fuel pump/regulator) and when engine is revved past tickover-- the new reg is a new updated one version from ducati it has two green wires two red/white wires and two yellow wires surely someone has replaced the regulator on a SS with the ducati partno54040131A- i got this one cos with the DSC discount it worked out cheaper than any other replacement unit advertised on the net - i am sure i have the new reg wired in correctly cos any other way it either doesnt work or bypasses the ignition switch by creating a permanant live to fuel pump -- i keep getting different numbers on the out put of the genny but i think i this maybe the cheap MM i have or the different points at which i take an earth or maybe just the different revs at which i am taking the readings---that is why i have asked if anyone has experienced a generator failure - altho reading the posts about reg/rec/batt/gen problems thru the forum no one has, its always been a reg unit or wiring failure-
dave
Old 05-Jun-2006, 06:47
Big Twin

there isnt a black /red wire on the reg keefy be- unless you mean the existing red/black wire draw me a diagram mate- off to work now
Old 05-Jun-2006, 14:26
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I feel so badly for you Dave that I've trawled all of the DSC and Ducati.ms websites looking for clues.

Here is a good trouble shooting guide from the USA I might well print out myself:

Sorry, its just for the charging system only and mainly relies on the engine running but hope it helps!

Try again:

http://www.electrosport.com/electros...t_finding.html

Cheers
Old 05-Jun-2006, 17:49
Big Twin

thanks for your time frank - the linky not worky but i did download a flow chart that i worked thru also went thru some threads on the forum that described how to test all the various components i also worked thru the ducati workshop manual and when all else failed i resorted to the haynes book- i also couldnt find out much about the updated replacement regs from ducati -(might be worth dropping ducati uk an e-mail that maybe they could include instructions with the regs)!!they probably dont do that to stop muppets like me taking away their workshop revenue
i think keefyb is definately onto something in that i have wired it in wrong just hope i havent damaged anything else- i did wire the reg in in the way that keefyb states but the charge light never came on so i thought that i had got it wrong doh-- so keefy b i have deciphered the wiring and will go ahead does this mean that the charging light will be obsolete and won't/shouldnt illuminate when the key is switched to on?or work at all? sorry to appear a bit thick, well that is cos i am----do the two green wires that you state go to black (i dont have a black wire) go to earth?
dave
Old 05-Jun-2006, 18:32
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep,all Dukes with the modern Japanese(?) style regulators have no charging light.(There's confidence for you!)
Your existing light will become obsolete.