Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-May-2004, 23:24

999 ability to turn real fast @ speed

I have built a 999 for track day use only has anyone got an opinion on how these bike change direction as having shed some 15kg & squeezed some 18 extra ponies from my bike I was wondering if anyone can solve the problem that Mr franki Chili seems to have running the new 999 chassis
Old 11-May-2004, 23:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Are you serious? If Frankie hasn't solved that problem, do you expect people on this board to have solved it? Oh, wait, I better call Ducati Corse first thing tomorrow and let tell how to fix their front end problem. Maybe that would get Emmet back to his winning ways as well.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but this is too funny.
Old 12-May-2004, 08:37
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Er... Neil Hodgson seemed to win ok ..... even Xaus kept it shiny side up.... Gary McCoy.....Toseland....

Anyway, what price is the right tyre with development? It makes you wonder to us mere mortals how much this is contributing?

Yes i know, i think? Emmetts on Michelins...(his needs to get his head sorted most of the time)

Seriously, i was going to ask this, as when you take the fairings off the geometry and make up of the suspension etc is very similar! to the god like 998etc...
Old 12-May-2004, 10:12
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
personally if I had one and wasn't happy with it the first thing I would be doing is raising the seat and trying to put more of the riders weight over the front end, shorter tank may help in that respect. But we have raised and lowered seats on various race bikes over the years and also added foam pads to either the back of the tank (usually for taller riders) or built up the bum stop a on the seat to force the rider into the tank more (usually for the shorter riders like me) On my R6 at last years TT the bum stop on the seat was a good 100mm to 125mm thick. Taping on a bit of foam cost next to nothing and is worth trying at times.
Old 12-May-2004, 10:37
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Didn't thing changing direction was a problem - more the front end into corners. but just how fast are you? if you can find fault with a 999 you either should be in BSB or there's something very wrong with your set up. Best to put all settings to standard then change things one at a time, but only in small steps and maybe make notes of the affects. Just remember with all the adjustments you have got it's very easy to grt it all wrong.
Old 12-May-2004, 13:42
500SD

i've done 300 miles in 2 days on mine, all i can say is that this bike is truly awesome. Much better than the amazing stock 999 i tried last year.
Totally stable, turns quick enough although this is only at 5.5k -100mph with occasional squirts to 7k -125ish mph
I've noticed a little reluctance to change direction sometimes but i will be running a 180 back tyre soon which will help that.
Totally blown away with the michelin pilot sport 2's they are great. Unsure of them at first, but once warm they really do give amazing levels of grip. THe only down side i can think of is that because they are such a good tyre it is difficult to get any level of feedback, you have to be on the ragged edge and they need to be well worn.
Can't wait for that
Old 12-May-2004, 15:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Errrr Rottweiler....You're not really Sean Emmett are you
Old 12-May-2004, 19:47

@ Croft circuit you change direction from from flat in 3rd to flat in 4th while very much pinned through the 1st part of the esses try lifting try changing direction as compared to my R1 02 bike it felt like a wheel barrow witha flat wheel as far as set up is concerned dong lap times 3 seconds outside the lap record was easy just the turning @ high speed that's crap Sean..........
Old 21-May-2004, 11:29
500SD

Mood: head down
ive got a 999s and found it slow to turn on standard settings ,
just try the steep head angle and raise the rear end 2-3 turns and the bike is transformed in the corners ,i tried the seat and tank fully forward also, but the back end lifts to easly on the brakes so i settled for the middle position as it gives a little more grip or better feeling, on the exit of the corners under good acceleration.
Old 21-May-2004, 16:50
500SD

now i have got 800 odd miles on the clock and had the chance to open it up a bit mi've found mine to start swaying around the front when i wound it on to 140ish a couple of times. When i moved a bit forward it settled down. Going to dial in a bit more ride height and will be moving the seat forward also.