Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jun-2003, 11:54

Mood: Mellow but missing Turkiye
Hot running 748

Does anyone out there regularly run a 748SPS in ambient temperatures of 30 degrees C plus ? Reason I ask is that my 748 appears to be running very hot i.e. just under 120 degrees. Is this normal or do I have a fault ?

Fan cuts in ok but temperature remains high.

Anyone tried Water Wetter as an agent to improve heat dispersion ?

[Edited on 23-6-2003 by istanbulian]
Old 23-Jun-2003, 16:27
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

One thing that's often overlooked on Ducati superbikes is that both oil and coolant radiator fin damage occurs from road debris. Without protection, the fins get bent over, air flow through the radiator is reduced, so coolant and oil temperatures rise over time.

After carefully straightening the bent fins, place aluminum window screening over the radiators to prevent future damage. Screen material with larger openings won't stop small pebbles. Don't worry, the inexpensive window screen material won't significantly reduce airflow. Do it on a new bike before damage occurs.

If you regularly experience high temperatures at speed, use WaterWetter, especially for track use (where it is usually mandated.)

WaterWetter is often used because it reduces the surface tension of water (the property that makes it bead-up) thereby improving further water's superior heat transfer ability while also adding the necessary lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. Lowering the cylinder head temperatures in a high compression race engine lowers the already-high fuel octane requirements. A WaterWetter/water mix has a slightly lower boiling point than a 50/50 glycol mix and alone provides no antifreeze protection. It can be used in combination with antifreeze.

Most important, WaterWetter will reduce coolant temperatures under all operating conditions. It's easy to see its advantage in modified engines having increased heat loads, and under high-load, high-rpm track conditions.

It's important to note, however, that for normal street riding in cooler and moderate weather it also can prevent the coolant from reaching optimum temperatures. Across-the-board temperature reductions of 15°F under all riding conditions are commonly experienced using WaterWetter.
Old 23-Jun-2003, 16:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
you can also get a modified cooling fan switch from Evoluzione.net to bring the fan in earlier.
May help a little. Normal running is about 180 degrees F
Old 23-Jun-2003, 19:29

Mood: Mellow but missing Turkiye
Thanks. My radiator certainly has more than its fair share of fin damage: Turkish roads can be a little "varied" !! I will try Water Wetter and a modified fan first.

If I am looking at a replacement radiator is there any experience out there of the increased capacity JHP radiator ? How does it compare price-wise with OEM ?