Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Mar-2005, 11:51   #1
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
noisy forks when pulling away
The squeak from the forks seems to have disappeared to be replaced by a bit of a groan from the top of the forks or around the head of the steering, ie the bearing. It happens when pulling away with a little or more urgency. Easy take offs pose no problem. So basilcally when the forks are elongated I get abit of a metallic groan. Is this normal? Or something to be talking to the dealer about?

Cheers and thanks
Old 26-Mar-2005, 15:17   #2
Big Twin

I get that from time to time as well. My 749's done 2100 miles, how many miles has your bike done? I havent got a clue what it is either...someone more knowledgeable will be round soon!
Old 28-Mar-2005, 02:03   #3
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
noisy forks
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
I get that from time to time as well. My 749's done 2100 miles, how many miles has your bike done? I havent got a clue what it is either...someone more knowledgeable will be round soon!

Its been doing it since about 2350miles. am a bit worried that the bearings for the steering may be dry.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 08:07   #4
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by 749er
The squeak from the forks seems to have disappeared to be replaced by a bit of a groan from the top of the forks or around the head of the steering, ie the bearing. It happens when pulling away with a little or more urgency. Easy take offs pose no problem. So basilcally when the forks are elongated I get abit of a metallic groan. Is this normal? Or something to be talking to the dealer about?

Cheers and thanks
Do the forks squeak/groan when you pump them with the front brake on?Do they make a noise if you turn the bars lock to lock?Are you sure its the forks making the noise as you pull away?Could be the brakes or even the "braying donkey" sound from the clutch.
I guess the bike is still under warranty?
Old 28-Mar-2005, 12:28   #5
Ducati Meccanica

Do the forks squeak/groan when you pump them with the front brake on?Do they make a noise if you turn the bars lock to lock?Are you sure its the forks making the noise as you pull away?Could be the brakes or even the "braying donkey" sound from the clutch.
I guess the bike is still under warranty? [/quote]

Definitely not the clutch as I can feel what a vibration through my hands. Seems more pronounced when I ham pulling away and turning the bars at the same time. Seem to recall the vibration and noise varying as I turned the bars.

Have pumped the forks but not with the front brake on. Will try that again, so thanks for the tip.

Yes bike is only 5 months old so will call the dealer tomorrow.

cheers

Derek
Old 29-Mar-2005, 18:07   #6
Ducati Meccanica

did I say "definitely not the clutch"

Apparently this is common and is due to the glazing of the clutch plates, so these need stripped out and treated or the clutch replaced. 2500 miles God help us. So Khu996 seems we have the same problem.

Seems that town riding is a bit of a no no with these dry clutches, always have to kick it into nuetral at the lights, and avoid riding the clutch when filtering. Easier said than done. Also apparently we are not supposed to be moving quickly off the lights too frequently either. Always slow away with little more than 1200rpm. Wish someone had told me all this at the start.

Any tips for coping with filtering etc would be appreciated. I tend to ride with a lot of rear break when filtering so need the drive...

thanks

DM
Old 29-Mar-2005, 20:44   #7
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep,that squeak or groaning sound is the clutch plates slipping.You can feel the vibes through the clutch lever and sometimes it transmits down to the bars.
Sorry cant help with any filtering tips,I tend to keep away from town centres myself.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 22:43   #8
Big Twin

The clutch? FFS...its only done 2100 miles and I havent abused it (that much!!), surely it can't be time for a new clutch?

749er, what do you mean when you say they need to be treated?
Old 29-Mar-2005, 23:38   #9
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
Aha, I was gonna ask about that myself after the clutch kept making those noises when I first had mine...

So am I right in saying there isnt any chance of a 'flying' start from the lights??
Old 30-Mar-2005, 00:42   #10
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
The clutch? FFS...its only done 2100 miles and I havent abused it (that much!!), surely it can't be time for a new clutch?

749er, what do you mean when you say they need to be treated?

Chances are the clutch just needs cleaning out. The dust accumulates and gives a "grindy" feeling as you pull away. On a typical Jap bike witha wet clutch the oil tends to carry away the dust particles but 'course on a Ducati that doesn't happen.

It takes about 10-15 minutes and only requires a tiny bit of mechanical sense to do the job...

Perfect excuse to fit an open clutch cover too which lets the dust blow away in normal use.

Darren