Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jun-2003, 21:45
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Michelin Pilot Race 2 / soft - suited to Dukes?

I've been offered a great deal on Michelin Pilot Race 2's and Pilot Race softs - anyone know of these on A Duke?

I think the Softs's are older models with the "2's" being newer.

Does anyone know what these are equivalent too or more importantly tried these on the track?

Also interested in opinions of 208GPs.

Thanks
Tim

[Edited on 14-6-2003 by Rattler]
Old 15-Jun-2003, 00:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
tim i've only tried the Pilot race softs on my CBR600 a few years ago they were awesome around Brands, could scrape the right rearset around Druids. But no idea how they would be on a Ducati.
Kev
Old 15-Jun-2003, 18:27

i havent tried pilot race 2's on my duke but i bought a pair for my GSXR600. They worked really well, loads of grip. I put a soft on the front and a medium on the rear
Old 16-Jun-2003, 08:45
DSC Club Member
Mille

Mood: Ageing Disgracefully
Rattler,
I have run both the Pilot Race 2 (H2 - hard) and the Pilot Race and Pilot Race Soft.

I prefer the Race 2 but it's usually more expensive. I ran a track day and then 800 miles out of a rear so it's pretty durable.

The original Pilot Race is good, but the soft is really a track day only tyre. I have just put a new pair of the original Pilot Race on my 996, £170 inc vat and next day delivery from www.fwr.co.uk

The other thing to remember is that the Pilot Race 2 have virtually no pattern to clear water. They really are a liability in the wet. I had to travel 150 miles in the wet on them last year and it is no fun !

Performance wise, the Race 2 provide very slightly more grip at maximum lean, but my main reason for liking the race 2 is the stability at max lean, which makes them feel grippier. In high speed corners (100 +) they feel less susseptable to road imperfections and let you push harder.

Foxy