Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2009, 13:08
Bikes: 848, 900SL

Track Day Tyres - 2009

What is the track tyre of choice this year. I had an off at Croft start of May last year and with bike and bone damage , work and other stuff, haven't been out on track since and haven't really been keeping up to date with whats out there. 853, track only, usually prefer Michelin or Bridgestone, never get on with Dunlop .
Old 20-Mar-2009, 13:23
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pict
What is the track tyre of choice this year. I had an off at Croft start of May last year and with bike and bone damage , work and other stuff, haven't been out on track since and haven't really been keeping up to date with whats out there. 853, track only, usually prefer Michelin or Bridgestone, never get on with Dunlop .

I use Metzler Racetec K1 front & K2 rear, this years dearer option is the Pirelli supercorsa sp.

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/catalog...RCORSA_HYP.xml

Chris
Old 20-Mar-2009, 13:25
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Hate Michelin after famous Mallory incident, never used them since. I have used Pirelli for years now, super corsa pros, but will be on Dunlops this season due to sponsorship deal with No Limits Trackdays. Price difference for me as an instructor is huge, so I'm going to give them a try in Portimao next week (Have I mentioned I'm going to Portimao yet?), so will let you know how I get on. I'll have a direct comparison as first day will be on Pirelli.

WeeJohnyB
Old 20-Mar-2009, 20:48
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I like Racetec's to race on myself. Predictable and good performance. However, for most people you won't go far wrong with Pilot Power 2CT's and they have the bonus of not being too bad in the rain either. Nor do they need warmers. I think for most people they're a fine tyre and they took me to a 4th in the wet when I was unable to get some proper wets.
Old 20-Mar-2009, 22:20
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
On Monday at Brands Hatch, amongst other things, the Kapital Moto Racing team were for the first time testing the new Michelin PowerOne tyres.

I'd like to say that I think they're very good! We were riding Jason's 996, as the race bike isn't yet ready, and we were booked into two groups - Fast and Inters. So, by the end of the day, the tyres had done a total of around 4.5 hours track time.

Right up to the end the tyres felt good, very stable and any movement appeared to be quite predictable. We were running a stupidly low tyre pressure in the rear, and quite a low pressure in the front, based on suggestions by Jim of Biketek Mobile, our tyre supplier.

Anyway, if you're looking to try a new tyre, I'd recommend giving the Michelin PowerOne's a shot. And I'd also recommend sourcing them from Jim at Biketek. http://www.biketekmobile.com/

Here's what our rear looked like after 4.5 hours track time. We were using a race carcass B compound, and there's still a harder endurance C compound to move to.

Old 20-Mar-2009, 23:20
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

i second that opinion. the powerone is going to be a popular tyre this summer, I bet.

as for the pressure in the rear... 19psi when cold was the recommendation!! You gotta try it!
Old 21-Mar-2009, 10:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
As a previous Dunlop and Michelin user I have just done a couple of days on Racetecs and have to say I am impressed with them and now see why so many people use them.

It's warming up a bit now and I am about to swap onto Dunlop slicks for Portugal but will certainly use the racetecs again.

As TWPD says though if you want a road/track tyre and you don't have wets etc then the 2ct are a great all round tyre.
Old 21-Mar-2009, 21:49
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
I have used Diablo's, Sportec's and Bridgestones, but IMHO find that 2CT's give a superb blend of grip and confidence wet & dry.

Front is very planted and the rear stable, although the rear moves about a bit when pushed hard
Old 22-Mar-2009, 11:56
Big Twin
Bikes: 998S Chili trackbike,749R (corse kit), 748SPS

Mood: Flange - it's a state of mind....
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa'a sc1 - F & sc2 - R

Used for the first time at Jerez in Oct - amazing grip & no movement at all.....but then I'm not fast
Old 24-Mar-2009, 23:11
Bikes: 848, 900SL

Thanks for all your input. I will probably go for 2CT's but will let you know