Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Sep-2005, 20:37
Mille

SP2 Do you want the good news first ? Part 2

Thanks for your messages of sympathy to part 1. Much appreciated, however the good news is .. she's fixed ! I phoned Baines on Monday, spoke to Derek who did the original work. He straight away said that this should not have happened, and that he would come to me to fix it. He asked if I would mind taking the seat unit off to see what the extent of the damage was so that he knew what to bring to fix it. I did that, and saw that the damage had been caused by the small group of wires that run from the main loom and spur off to go up to the petrol tank getting a small part stuck between the carbon fibre heat shield on the rear cylinder exhaust and the exhaust itself. This had caused the wire insulation to melt and then the wires themselves to short as they became exposed when the insulation caught fire. No other damage appeared to have been caused.

I told Derek this and he asked if he could come up to mine today (Wednesday) to fix it. Now that's what I call service, as it's a good 2 hour trip each way in a van from mine to Silverstone. Within a few hours, Derek had fixed the wiring, and she started easily and ran well, so she seems fully sorted. What a relief ! I might be able to make the Donington Track day after all now ! Top service from Derek at Baines, I have to say. It's not that problems don't occur, it's how those problems are resolved that show the difference between the top outfits and the also-rans.

I'll let you know how I get on with it now

(Ains - sorry to repeat the email I've just sent you - saved me typing it all in again)

Matthew
Old 28-Sep-2005, 21:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Matthew,

Great news.

Rgds, Rob
Old 28-Sep-2005, 23:26
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Enjoy now !!!!!!!

Phil911
Old 28-Sep-2005, 23:38
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
No worries mate, glad it's all sorted. ENJOY!!!
Bit of a guilt trip actually, that I'd waxed lyrical enough to you about what they were like that you bought it, then after a wad of dosh was spent on her she burst in to flames!!!!
I said it was like a firery Italian woman, but not quite so literally.

Ains.
Old 29-Sep-2005, 14:30
Mille

yes, you did, so I'll hold you personally responsible - the bill's on the way !

Actually, Ains it was your views, as well as others on this forum, that convinced me it was worth spending that sort of money on a 15 year old bike, and hearing it start again yesterday confirmed that it was absolutely the right decision.

If it's not snowing this weekend, I'll try and pile on as many miles as possible, as a shakedown before taking it to Donington.

Matthew

Old 29-Sep-2005, 16:22
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
That's great news...I must admit I did feel for you.

And I know what you mean about laying down the same wad of cash for an old bike...I could've had a 749S for a couple of hundred more than I paid for mine, but...there is just something about T8's that make me go all goosebumpy

Enjoy it to the full now eh!
Old 30-Sep-2005, 00:17
Mille

Yeah Jools - I checked out prices of Aprilia RSV's and I could have got a 2 or 3 year old one of those for about £2K less than the cost of my SP2 plus the repair bill ! 748's were also plentiful.

But they just didn't 'do it' for me ! Trouble is now I've seen all you guy's bikes, I can't help feeling that I want an SP3, SP4, and an 888 Strada (and Jasper's SP5 will do nicely !). Better sell the kids on ebay .

Happy riding - I hope to get out on mine for a good thrash at the weekend.

Matthew