Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Feb-2004, 15:48
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
996 Clutch plates

Though I would give the clutch cover a dusting out, no reason,no problems. Then I went one delve more and removed some of the plates, i was surprised to see the thickness or lack of material that make up the little pads, How thick should they be? mine look about the thickness of a postage stamp any one have any comments and if I change them do i have to change everthing, that is both sets of plates the plain ones and the one with the little cork tiles on. The basket looks OK though. I did have the 900SS done about 12,000 miles ago and that cost about £180 at Clarkes but I did'n t get to see the state of it .Thanks lads 4D
Old 26-Feb-2004, 16:11
Ducati Corse

I got a shock when i bought my first new clutch pack, it looked like it was already worn out before i put the blooming thing on the bike!

They come in a set, friction plates and driven plates, just over £100 for the lot i think.
Old 26-Feb-2004, 17:09
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Pete,there is not a lot of meat on the plates when they are new.There is a measurment for the minimum wear thickness of the plates;
SP,SPS and 996S models,standard 2.5mm.Service limit 2.3mm.
All other models,standard 3mm,service limit 2.8mm.
The general rule of thumb is "if it aint broke,dont fix it!"
If the clutch is working ok,ie not grabbing,slipping,dragging or making exessive noise,.......then leave it alone!
Seriously tho,its good to clean the dust out every now and then .Check the plates for signs of overheating(turning blue) or scoring.Check also the clutch outer drum for signs of wear where the plate tabs are hammering the slots.The plates should'nt be warped either.
That is all!
Old 26-Feb-2004, 18:49
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
excessive noise..how can you tell???
Old 26-Feb-2004, 19:24
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
The plates really should be checked individually. However, if you just remove the pressure plate - measure how much of the slotted portion of the clutch hub is projecting from the last plate and then compare this to the depth of the corresponding slotted recess in the pressure plate. If the clutch springs are in good nick and the drum measurement is less than the presure plate measurement, then it should not bottom out and cause the the clutch to slip.