Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 31-Mar-2004, 00:32
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
best of irish to you Kev and WJB
Old 01-Apr-2004, 00:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Cheers for the good wishes guys, Just finished preping the R6 late this afternoon, new body kit looks nice complete with its DSC Logos, shame the tank doesnt match but had to let the matching one go on the other bike. Jerry can is full of Super unleaded and the Van is full of £45 worth of Diesel.
Just got to load everything tomorrow morning to head off down there in the afternoon as I'm helping my mate Dallas on the Friday practice day. its going to be along weekend but hopefully very enjoyable.
Monty, WJB and Ianh we will see you down there.

Kev
Old 01-Apr-2004, 10:50
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Looking forward to it Kev, everything is ready, I just have to load the bike on the trailer, fit the front mudguard, stickers, race numbers, load the genny, 3 jerrycans of avgas, 1 jerrycan of unleaded for the genny, tools, tent etc etc. ****-it looks like I'm not ready at all yet-going to be a long day-see you tonight.

John
Old 01-Apr-2004, 12:22
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
just a bit excited

I 'packed' all my kit at the weekend I just couldn't wait, I'm so looking forward to it. I didn't sleep much last night...got in the office at 7.15am, leaving early to meet up with Monty and drive down there. Looking forward to trying a new track as I've never done Pembrey and also to get back on the wee beastie and take it to the max - we've still not opened it up fully after the rebuild. We're hoping to get mid pack by the end of the weekend, maybe a bit ambitious, but we're going to give it a try.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

WeeJohnyB
Old 01-Apr-2004, 13:03
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Good luck m8.....................
Old 01-Apr-2004, 14:22
MotoGP God

WJB you will find the TZ well suited to Pembrey, I've seen Neil Higgs on the DTR bike putting in some really quick lap times. Another half hour and i'm off down there.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 11:13
MotoGP God

Race weekend report

Pembrey April 2004-04-05

Arrived Thursday evening with my mate Dallas and set up in the top end of the paddock. After 6 years of riding various Ducati’s Dallas now has a R1 with Ohlins all round, full Micron system, rearsets etc, where as this year I am starting the season on a R6 which up until this weekend had never seen a short circuit, its engine and induction system is totally standard, the main mods being Ohlins shock and steering damper pinched off last years TT bike and a set of Harris rearsets.
After setting up our pit area and having something to eat and wondered the paddock catching up with fellow racers that we haven’t seen over the winter break. Eventually I came across WJB and Monty unloading the car and getting out the new awning/marquee/house and gave them a hand to set it up before heading for my bunk.
Friday was practice day for which both Dallas and WJB were booked in. Dallas took to the track with a view to just refreshing his memory of it as he hasn’t been there for over a year and on his last 2 visits has had a couple of offs, one involving broken ankles and ribs. After several sessions Dallas was down in to the 1min 11s and feeling comfortable, so it was time to try a few tweaks to the bike. Made a small change to the rear shock length to increase the rear ride height. This resulted in lap times dropping to 1min 10s with Dallas happy in that he was getting both knees down for the first time ever at Pembrey. We decided to try for a little more rear ride height but this resulted in slower lap times and Dallas reporting the bike was not so confidence inspiring, so we put it back to the previous setting. It looked as if we needed to lower the gearing as only 4 gears were being used but sadly the race vans didn’t have the necessary front sprocket, a change of rear wasn’t possible as the wheel was already fully forward and would have required a new chain. So Dallas just did a couple of more sessions with the bike as it was eventually getting in to the mid 1’09 bracket. And after 80 or so laps the Pirelli Diablo Corsas were holding up well. This time compares to his previous best of 1’07 on his 916 Strada race bike using slicks in the middle of summer.

As for Monty and WJB, I’ll leave it to them to tell you about their tales of woe.

Saturday was race day and my turn on track I had the bike scrutinised on the Friday evening and after getting my clothing done I signed on and got my practice pass. Following a very rainy night the track was fairly wet so I decided on a wet front and a intermediate rear. When I got out in practice (3rd group of the day) the track was a real mix of wet and dry patches but didn’t feel to bad on my choice of tyres the only dodgy feeling bit was the braking area into the hairpin which was fairly dry and the block pattern on the front wet was squirming around a lot causing me to have to brake earlier than I wanted. The result was 21st place on the grid and about 8 seconds off the times of the front row guys. After coming in I decided to get the Super Corsa removed from my spare front and fit an intermediate instead.
Race 1 took up my place on the grid on a drying track with some damp patches and a wet hairpin where a oil spill had been cleaned up. I got a average start and joined the rest of the Queue at the hairpin/bottleneck. I was a lot happier with my tyre choice and track conditions and slowly improved my lap times getting down to below 1’ 10.5 secs, sadly this wasn’t quite quick enough to stop me getting lapped by the race winner and the next 5 riders. I need to lap in the 1’08s to avoid this happening, which is a time I was doing last year on the Ducati. However I came off he track happy with my progress on the R6 as this is the first time I have raced it and there is still a lot of set-up to do. I felt with a few more dry races I would get the ride heights right and then look at fitting lower gearing and go from there as I was very happy with my lap times first time out and with the bikes ability to change direction and hold a tight line.
Sadly to say the rest of the weekend was wet races for me and following he odd big slide, a misting visor and a clash with another rider no further progress was made.

Still the weekend was far from a disaster the bike has good potential I just need some dry track time to get it dialled in and closer to the set-up of the other R6 that I parted with the weekend before.
So a list of things to do is now in place, and includes things like fitting single rate Ohlins fork springs, race compound brake pads, stiffen rear end, adjust ride height (lower) and buy a few more sprockets.

High lights of the weekend was watching the Ianh winning the Powerbike on his 998 and both he and Les Liney putting in some very good rides in the SoT races.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 12:06
MotoGP God

I hope your going to do the same after Cadwell, certainly hope its not as brief as your previous race report which was far outweighed by your medical report.

Steve will it still be possible to pick up my wheels, discs and battery from you later this week in Reading, Hopefully the Strada will be vacating my workshop in a week or so then I want to assemble the 748SP.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 13:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Great report, Kev. Given the dodgy conditions, at least you stayed upright, which always helps for the next race.

The weather you describe is utterly useless in trying to setup a bike. As you say, a few good dry days will sort it.

You've made a great start with your report and I think it needs to be compulsory for posters that race to file reports of their activities. Watch me "forget" to file mine.

I'll be doing my first test session at Croft week on Wednesday. I hope the weather cooperates.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 14:01
MotoGP God

just had a text from Alan Holland saying that Phil pulled out of the MRO race at Croft this weekend due to lack of grip and thought it to dangerous to carry on, hopefully Alan will be putting out a more in depth report in the near future.
As I have never been to Croft I have no Idea of the circuit layout or type of surface or the weather they had there this weekend. Hopefully your trackday will be different.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit