Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Aug-2006, 03:34
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Today at Donington (18th)

Great day at Donny - a day of having fun rather than practicing for race day. Took the 996 to stretch it's legs for the first time on track this year.

Weather was similar to last sunday, rain overnight and in the morning, which was the first time I've ever used a set of wets - them tyres are unbelievable! Getting used to them was a bit of a mindf***. Was very nearly using the brakes as hard as on a dry track, and they'd grip out of corners like I couldn't believe - not a single 'moment' for the two wet sessions. Although I was being eaten alive by everyone else in the fast group who already knew how to use them. Well worth splashing out on a set.

By the third session it was bone dry, so on with the Racetec's. Now for some fun! Craner Curves on the monster is scarey enough, but the 996 with stickier tyres was nothing short of death defying! And now it's dried out I was holding my own and overtaking a few people... had a good few laps against a Mille, him leaving big black lines out of every corner and I must've been doint the same cos the right side of my tyre is a little chamfered to say the least, and full throttle in 5th under Dunlop bridge saw the front wheel airbourne - how very moto gp! Only had one moment on the racetec's, going into the esses with a little too much lean/brake made the front try to tuck but was easy enough to save.

Seems like I had a great choice of tyres to use - the wets are hard to believe, try some, and the racetec's likewise. Well happy with the day but surprisingly, in the early sessions, I was doing the same times as last sunday on the monster! Didn't get any times for the aftynoon but can't've been that much quicker.

Track wasn't too busy in the fast group, and everyone was very polite in waiting for the right moment to overtake. Thanks to Hottrax for an exceedingly well run day, and the other guys on track for being so patient while I was getting used to the wets!

Well that's my day of fun for the year. Can't wait for lots more of them in '07

Last edited by NBs996 : 19-Aug-2006 at 03:37.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 20:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Sounds like you had fun Nick, hopefully a few of us will be able to enjoy monday and tuesday in the same manor, away from the pressures and expectations of a race meeting.
If I had room in the van I would take the 996 to Cadwell, but with 3 other bikes in the there just isn't the room

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Aug-2006, 20:48
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Want a blast on the 998 Kev??
Old 19-Aug-2006, 20:49
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
That sounds good to me to mate. Two days without the race thing. Taking my 916 up, just got to get some new rubber on it when I get there. I will have the DD bike as well. So skids your welcome to a session on it if you only have the DD bike to ride.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 20:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Nice to meet up with you Nick, pity we didn't get out togeather and have some fun. Mind you with loosing my bellypan at close on 140mph down the back straight, I kept waiting for something else to fall off and luckily it wasn't me.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 22:36
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter916
Want a blast on the 998 Kev??

Shucks Glyn, how nice of you to offer, I may take you up on that if I can't blag a go on Dallas's bike, not sure if he's taking the 996 Corse engined bike or his newly aquired 998R.

Thanks also for your offer also Eric, the 3 bikes I am taking are the 750SSie that I race in Minitwins, my recently finished 620SSie built for DD Class A and also my M600 road bike for Senna3's wife Trudi to ride. All of which m,eans the far 996 with its extended swingarm and adjustable offset yokes has to stay at home as does my Ex race R6.
Still the MT and DD bikes should keep me fairly busy as I experiment with gearing, setup etc.

Still I shouldn't complain, at least I can take 3 bikes which is more than Nick can fit in the back of a Renault Espace

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 20-Aug-2006, 07:15
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Racers on 996 Corse engined bikes...in the fast group....My chubby old ST2 is gonna get slaughtered innit

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 20-Aug-2006, 18:39
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Racers on 996 Corse engined bikes...in the fast group....My chubby old ST2 is gonna get slaughtered innit

No neccessarily mate, not neccessarily.............

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 21-Aug-2006, 07:42
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
...at least I can take 3 bikes which is more than Nick can fit in the back of a Renault Espace

Ooh! Has he still got that then