Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Feb-2006, 15:45
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
I'm gonna beat the lot of ya :P

If not this year in the 583 class then next year in the 620's
Old 10-Feb-2006, 15:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i could!
but you all know that already
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:01
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Of course GS is beatable, but not by anyone currently in DD, (Well nobody I know), unless there is someone coming in this year.

From the races I watched and those that I heard about, Geoff hasn't actually RACED yet, to him, he's led out the Intermediate group for the sighting laps on a trackday.

In this series, he's unproven at being put under real pressure. At the race at Donny, I watched second placed person, think it was Marc Potter, put him under some pressure, but then Geoff seemed to be able to put 20m on him in a lap, just as Marc got close, Geoff looked over his shoulder as if to say, 'too close mate' and upped the pace. I'm pretty sure he's been doing just enough to win and has probably never actaully had his 'race' head on. What would he be like with 4 or 5 guys around him at every corner? Up until now he has been exceptionally smooth, but that's not always possible when someone is diving under you on the brakes and nicking your line. I've heard from others that have raced with him in the past that he will up his game when challenged.

I do hope that for the sake of the championship, someone can give him a hard time, but I foresee him winning pretty much every race.

In saying that, all the novice racers are a season wiser which could count for something and many bikes may be a bit better prepared, so both of these might be worth a second a lap....still not enough to get close to Geoff.

Unless there is someone who is learning and developing as every week goes by, ie taking tenths and seconds off their times and going up the field at each meeting, then the rest of the pack will pretty much stay as they are, with a small percentage change in their times. There will be not much significant change in the order of the championship from 2005 to 2006. One exception will be Domski.

Who's in 583? Are you still there Phil or did I read you have bought a 620. If Phil is in 583, I reckon he'll win it fairly easily, if in 620, he may push Geoff if at the top of his game. I'd love to be proved wrong mind you, just cause I like the underdog. The biggest surprise last year to me was the lack of form from Domski, who, having known his CB500 times and comparing them to my own and people who won the CB5 Cup, I thought he'd be right up there winning races - he may well win a few if he's on a better bike this year and his heads in the right place.

As for hanging up your Arai or self belief being a factor to give up trying.....trust me, the guys from mid pack down will NEVER win a race, we an't all be winners, so why do they do it? All the right reasons like adreniline, fun, mates, hobby, beat the guys racing around them etc. You don't think the guys at the back of the MotoGP grid REALLY think they have a chance of beating Rossi? No. They simply don't have the skill or the bike. Sure have goals, but don't confuse them with deluded dreams. IMHO

WeeJohnyB
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:04
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by tetol
i bet he don't win at assen.

So he's not going to Assen then???
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Firstly apologies to Geoff for having to put up with being discussed like this, I'm sure it'll do your self-esteem no harm...

Secondly I doubt Geoff was pushed very hard in the majority of races, but there were a couple where I could have sworn he broke a sweat!

Based on Snet:

Best lap
GS: 1:21.64
AB: 1:24.72

Behind at finish: 27 secs over 30mins

Best lap
GS: 1:41.69
AB: 1:43.59

Behind at finish: 14.9 secs over 15mins

Working on the basis that the 11-13bhp difference (I know that mine was putting out 51.5) is worth 1.5-2 secs/lap then it looks kind of acheivable based on the absolute figures.

Unfortunately racing at our level is no more connected to figures than it is to horoscopes. Racecraft counts for much, as does aggression, and decent nights sleep before. MotoGP boys deal in thous, we deal in getting round the corner without falling off (not my best feature).

So the answer is as per everyone else. Yes, every dog has his day, but I'd put £20 on Boggy taking the championship.

Ali
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:11
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Maybe i'm a bit naughty asking this - but if the differential is that big...why do you think Geoff has come back to DD and not revisited other series...just curious ?

Surely its not much fun having that much in reserve and winning week in, week out..?
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:13
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
nice posts lads interesting thoughts from a 'spectator' point of view.
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:14
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by Nattyboy
Maybe i'm a bit naughty asking this - but if the differential is that big...why do you think Geoff has come back to DD and not revisited other series...just curious ?

Surely its not much fun having that much in reserve and winning week in, week out..?

i wondered that more than once myself fella.
Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJohnyB
There will be not much significant change in the order of the championship from 2005 to 2006. One exception will be Domski.

Ummm, why? I know I'm exceptional, but in what sense?

Quote:
The biggest surprise last year to me was the lack of form from Domski, who, having known his CB500 times and comparing them to my own and people who won the CB5 Cup, I thought he'd be right up there winning races - he may well win a few if he's on a better bike this year and his heads in the right place.

Believe me, you weren't the only one who was surprised!!!!!

But, like you say, Form is temporary - Quality is permanant, or sumfing.

I'm not saying I'll win this season, but I think I have a much much better chance. As the year goes on and I get back into the swing of things, I'll be getting thinner and fitter and faster. I'll be on for a win as long as the final round isn't at Cad.... Oh shiiiiite!!

Old 10-Feb-2006, 16:18
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Based on Snet:

Best lap
GS: 1:21.64
AB: 1:24.72

Behind at finish: 27 secs over 30mins

Best lap
GS: 1:41.69
AB: 1:43.59

Behind at finish: 14.9 secs over 15mins

Working on the basis that the 11-13bhp difference (I know that mine was putting out 51.5) is worth 1.5-2 secs/lap then it looks kind of acheivable based on the absolute figures.

So the answer is as per everyone else. Yes, every dog has his day, but I'd put £20 on Boggy taking the championship.

Ali

Like Ali I reckon having a 620 was probably worth 1.5 secs over a 675 when ridden properly and that a 675 was probably worth the best part of 1.5 secs over a 583.
We had a couple of very good riders on 675s who did there best to take on many of the 620s but I feel Geoff was that little bit futher ahead and wasn't going to be caught by anyone other than maybe Clint.
I'm not going to be able to beat Geoff no matter what I'm on, back in 2000 when I was on the same grids as him he just became a dot in the distance.
He has been a New Era Sound of Thunder champion and could so easily have been European champion.
I know a few racers that are leagues ahead of me who could give Geoff a good race, but none are in DD although a couple are in the DSC and race a Ducati.
Good thing about having the likes of Geoff out there is it gets others to raise their game and move them a step closer.

Now I will go back and ready the other replies that I skipped over