Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2003, 15:25
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
[i]This is a very technical area that is, to say the least very confusing to the uneducated, including myself! I have to say that reading most of the threads on suspension just add to the confusion, although it is a relief to read an addition from some one like Nelly who clearly has a better understanding. Any adjustment made by ourselves is just guess work. Why dont we just leave it to the professionals, of which there are numerous reputable ones, its not that expensive either all things considered.

I would tend to agree , BUT then i would never learn anything !!
Some adjustment made by yourself AFTER research will teach you much more than some expert saying I have adj this & that !
The expert cant teach you how each adj FEELS !
But there are some Basic principals
to follow , plus what works for one will not work for others !
Good luck !!Text

[Edited on 16-5-2003 by Totto]
Old 16-May-2003, 15:47
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
If the experts cant teach us how each adjustments feel, how do you know what your messing with? They cant teach us, because we dont know what were doing!
I have read threads on here where people have taken their bikes to experts and been amazed at the results. It would have been more by luck than judgement to have achieved this ourselves, with a little tweek here or there, not least to say dangerous.
Old 16-May-2003, 16:22
Mille

Stancheon passing thru' the yoke measured on the deepest side, as yoke slops down to the right, eg right side is 19mm standard.
Spring preload as per manual is 20mm and I think this equates to 5 rings showing.

Nelly as experts where do you start counting the rings from, first visible ring or from the shoulder?
Old 16-May-2003, 17:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I've always counted from the shoulder.
Just like to point out though that I don't see myself as a suspension "expert". I'd love to be, but other than building the things and doing the basics with the sag etc. that's as far as I'd go with mine or a customers.
The settings for the fork/yoke positions are factory settings. I think they are also in the Haynes.
I've set my forks to these and use the rear ride height for tweaking.
Old 16-May-2003, 19:39
Mille

Then surely my thread is all the more valuable.
I am ignorant (= not knowledgeable) and having had the guys at UK Suspension re-valve, re-sprung and set everything up for me (11 stone 4, plus my leathers and gear at another 14lbs) and track set-up too, I am hoping for great things.
There is much talk of suspension settings and the like at present, so my playing with these settings I believe will have real resonance with those who are going on the DSC track-day at Mallory. It's not by chance that I choose Mallory to test the settings on.
Please, afford me more credit!
Thus I will report back as to what I have found out for those who know little – just as I do – as I am exploring what the bike does under a set of variable settings.
Keep watching is all I can say, and maybe I might have something to add to peoples’ collective knowledge.
Or maybe I’m full of ><<j !

LS
Old 17-May-2003, 18:45
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
That must be a first !! a post about "rings" and "sag" and not one double entendr'e in sight !!!! :P
Old 18-May-2003, 05:44
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,
There seems to be some confusion on the thread as to what rings people are talking about.
On my 998,the third ring down on the fork legs are flush with the top yolk.
The pre-load adjusters on the top of the legs are on the sixth ring flush with the top red hexagon.
Works for me.

BTW,when I looked at Clarkmeisters bike,the forks where pushed thru the yolks as far as they would go,and the preload was turned down to the maximum.(Go figure that one out!)It may have been ok for Mallory,but no good for the road,As the man said,the front wheel was hitting the cylinder head!
Old 25-Sep-2005, 12:18
Bevel Head

Mood: ;)
Im not showing my RING to any of u FKKRS!!!
Old 25-Sep-2005, 22:26
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
i think i've got about 6 showing on my 916, i'll wander donwstaris later to confirm.

surely not.....cant be???
Old 25-Sep-2005, 23:06
Ducati Corse

Someone has been replying to ancient postings again!