Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 06-Nov-2003, 18:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
What Alarm?

Just thinking if it is worth me purchasing an alarm...i live in quite a dodgy area and have no Garage (hence bike is in the kitchen).
Will at some point have to begin leaving her outside... What's the best and what price's am i looking at?
Also...at the moment insurance is really s**t coz they reckon if it's nicked from outside my house then they wont pay up...will it bring my insurance down or is it just bound to rocket coz it's being left outside?

Oh it's a black 750 sport!

[Edited on 6-11-2003 by kwikbitch]
Old 06-Nov-2003, 19:14
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
check out http://www.insuremyducati.co.uk to find out what will happen to the insurance and also on that site is a link to alarms and immobilisers - gives the prices for various models
Old 13-Nov-2003, 09:28
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
Ive got a DataTool Evo ( I think its an Evo- its got the bright light in the key fob) on my 998, and had the same on my R1. Never had any trouble with recent DataTool alarms, and even had the DataTool pager on my 996 so if the alarm went off in the garage and I didnt hear it, the pager going off in the bedroom would have woken me up.
A few of my friends have got DataTool alarms and haven't experienced any problems with them. The motion sensors are pretty sensitive as well, and work really will if you leave the bike on a paddock stand - difficult to get the bike off the stand without the alarm going off.
Cant really comment on Meta or other alarms as I haven't had one, but I did have bad experiences with a SpyBall.

cheers,
Ben
Old 25-Mar-2004, 14:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
KB,

For ease of use and the neater key fob option I would go for meta. However datatools are usually more sophisticated and Nelly is an aproved supplier for 'em!

I have used both.

As for the insurance probs my policy says my bike isn't insured for theft if its not in a garage with a mile of my house between 10pm and 6am.

Got any relations with some garage space? maybe rent a garage? any biker mates with spare garage space. It's probably a hassle if the garage is too far away.

Is anyone gonna nick an ss anyway

APIA for that last unhelpful remark. I am heading off to the headmasters office as we speak for my detention!

Ray.
Old 25-Mar-2004, 21:07
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
You realy need to get hold of some garage space mate. Can't get sensible insurance without one!

I have the meta allarm on my bike and im happy with it. The reason i chose it over the other alarms.

1) Key fob conversion. (nothing hanging arround you neck)
2) Low battery drain.
3) Goes into sleep mode after 2 weeks, reducing battery drain.
4) Mate hade one and was happy with it.

Been happy with mine, hope this helps.

Mark
Old 25-Mar-2004, 21:11
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
http://www.motorcyclesecurity.co.uk/
Old 25-Mar-2004, 21:42
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
KB Spyball are very good but it will drain the battery if you leave for more than few days ???

Mark.............
Old 25-Mar-2004, 22:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Got one...Datatool...Our m8 at cornerspeed fitted it...Not particularly loud but it does the job...Very reasonable fully fitted!...Thanks for all your replies though!
Nice to know you all care.....:P