Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Mar-2006, 20:17

Speedo overlay

Hi All,
Some Jobsworth at the mot testing staion has failed my superlight for not having KPH readings on the dial. Have had a search and can't find any KPH overlays to fit on the glass, Does anyone know where I could get a KPH overlay.
Cheers
Old 23-Mar-2006, 20:59
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Just had a look at the regs and the speedo does not feature in the MOT test.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/motorcyc...entstested.htm
Old 23-Mar-2006, 21:42
888 at Last !!!

A friend had a car failed on windscreen wipers recently - total rubbish - and they wanted £45 to replace them all.

Take it somewhere else - or go back with the printout from Vosa.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 21:55

I agree its rubbish, but this is Northern ireland, they have their own rules; you guys on the mainland have the luxury of going to garages to get your mot done, but here there is dedicated MOT testing centres who show no mercy. Have had the bike past before with no problem, reckon its because the south of Ireland have changed all their road signs to KPH and some penpusher has thought it a good idea to ensure all speedo's show KPH in the chance one goes across the border. Have found Ducati overlays but only in MPH, surely there must be some in KPH.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 22:50
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Ouch.

How do all the classic car owners go on then? The legislation that relates to this is Regulation 40 of the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999 which provides for a motor vehicle to be fitted with a speedometer which indicates speed both in miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, if required, separately. As it is a 1999 act, it was probably law in 2000/1 or even later. I can't see how they can make such a requirement retrospective.

On the other hand most of the cars in Eire will have MPH speedos with small KPH digits. Bet they are having fun with someone confusing 110kph with 110mph!!!!

When was your bike first reg'd? There must be some exemption for vehicles registered before Jan 20 when Eire introduced Km's.

Hope you get it sorted quickly either way.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 22:55
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Cant remember who makes the SS clocks now but, I wonder if it might be worth contacting a big manufacturer like VDO or Veglia (excuse the spelling if its wrong).

Hope you get sorted ok.

Frank
Old 23-Mar-2006, 23:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Try phoning one of the many people who refurbish classic bike speedos - they might be able to take your clocks apart and fit some xtra numbers on the dial.
(I recently took my 620 monster closkd apart to add mph to the kph markings - its not impossible you know)