Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Dec-2005, 19:22
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Well said Scotty B!

Bibjo,
Lets just set the record straight here. I believe you got a 749 for 6.5K. Well done for that. My hat's off to you!

But lets be more accurate, is it a UK bike or an import?
Is it a Hybrid (2005 bike with a 2004 colour chassis, we're all selling them cheaper) or a new 2005 bip with red chassis?

OR is it a 2004 machine (old fairing) reg'd in 2005?
What dealer was it? Are they a recognised UK dealer or what?

What kind of intro did you give the dealer in terms of your mates? Did he sell three bikes instead of just one? (obviously you are all going to get a good deal if that's the case, 'specially at this time of year)

I've got to be honest, that price is SIGNIFICANTLY (think hundreds & hundreds of pounds!) cheaper than we as dealers buy the bikes (remember i'm a store, I have a fairly good idea of price here)

I would suggest that 6.5K is a poor "guide" as you put it?

I can't see a dealer "blowing his brains out" to the tune of hundreds of pounds just to clear a bike off the showroom floor. Any dealer worth his salt is gonna break even at least!
This could have simply been a one off deal in that dealership for some strange reason!

Trouble is, hundreds of guys may go into their local dealer and think they are getting ripped off after reading this thread.

I've gotta say, you need to be careful with comments like "a 749 will be worth £4,000 this time next year"
Maybe you're right there but I SERIOUSLY doubt it! No offence mate, but my humble opinion is you're miles off with that prediction!!!

Posiden is spot on, this kind of open discussion on deals can seriously harm all of our residual values (I ride a 749R, see my avatar).
It's nice to be loud & proud of the deal you got but you need to be EXACT about the circumstances on which the deal was based otherwise you are poisoning the market for the rest of the 749 owners and buyers out there (including yourself mate)

Truth is 749's have not sold as many as in recent years this year, but they are buy no means a knightmare. Eg, I sold 2 last week at good money. Year on year some bikes are better than others, it could be totally different next year, go figure!!

Best advice is, don't just think about the cost of buying the machine, think of the cost of owning it for 3-4 years (servicing, parts, clothing, problem solving, help, community,etc!) try and develop a good close friendship with your local team, support your local dealer and you should get much more back in return (I like to think my customers do!). THAT'S THE WAY TO SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN!

Megalite, Chris999 is right! A used 749 IS worth £6.5k Dependant on price, spec etc.
You gotta play the game here chap, offering a few hundred quid off the asking price is the norm, not a couple of grand. It's not a rice rocket! (no offence to the jap owners, just a feeble jest honest!! ) Trust me i'm a dealer!!

RCA, I just can't agree to the comparison between a Benelli and a 749! Don't believe everything you read mate! At one point this year I couldn't get enough 749's. In my humble opinion they are one of the best bikes Ducati have ever built, thats why i've had two of em! I had a 998S before that!

RCA, i'm reading your post and no offence mate, your opinion seems based on the MCN story. Again don't belive everything you read in there, trust me!
Your comments on Porsche are controversial to say the least!
The Boxter is one of the best handling Porsches they make, (the new hard top Boxter Caymen (spelling?) is apparently astounding) ask anyone!
I think a chat with you would be good fun mate, you seem to like a bit of controversy!!

Dave996, you're right too mate, finance pays a little, helps the deal out, not masses but it's a step in the right direction!

Finally 749's are just the bogs dollocks! Anyone wanting one, don't think about it just buy one they are truly awe inspiring!!

[Edited on 16-12-2005 by Martin Ducati Glasgow]
Old 16-Dec-2005, 19:41

I'm glad you posted Martin, as going by some of the replies on this thread, I was beginning to think that I'd bought a very unpopular bike, even though I love it and enjoy riding it.

Re the bike. This was bought from a main dealer, is a uk bike and is an official 2005 bike with the red/black frame. The situation with the dealer re price was that they were matching a price from another dealer (that I kind of made up to a certain extent). I also said that I knew of a couple of people who might be interested in two of their bikes. This was true, but they could only take my word for this. From what I could gather, this was a one-off deal, and I know it was a very good price. I dont think they made any money out of the deal, but I think they get some kind of bonus from the manufacturer? I used to be in the car trade and I know does happen. At the end of the day, I got on very well with them guys and it may have helped that I was a female...shouldnt say that I know....but sometimes it is an advantage! I hope my bike doesnt depreciate too much by next year, but if dealers go down that low, then who in their right mind is going to pay more? I think that if a dealer has any left at this time of year, they will sell at cost. Maybe I shouldnt have disclosed the price...I was just trying to help.
Old 16-Dec-2005, 19:55
Mille

Mood: Great
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow

Finally 749's are just the bogs dollocks! Anyone wanting one, don't think about it just buy one they are truly awe inspiring!!

I agree, had my 749S 6 months and I can't fault it. Great looks, great performance and handling.
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:08
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by itexuk
Quote:

I agree, had my 749S 6 months and I can't fault it. Great looks, great performance and handling.

Again ... I'm also a 2003 749s owner from new and love the bike. Does everything I ask of it ... and then some.

Also, not bragging but, I have a 911 which I will be selling in spring to buy a boxster. Nothing to do with money, I just want a 2 seater open top sports car and consider the Boxster to be the best option. Definetly not a case of being a wanna be 911 owner
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:10
Ducati Dealer
Mille

When you say you don't think they made any money! I can guarantee you they lost FORTUNES on that deal! I'm honestly further astounded that they were matching another dealers price, that's just madness mate!!

That means there are some nutters out there dedicating a significant part of their sales bonus towards a sale! Confusing! Like you say, most likely a one off or a rarity at least!

To anyone else out there, don't worry this is not an accurate reflection of every deal happening! Winter madness maybe!

Thanks for you're honesty Bibjo!

By the way, you good looking / single? Maybe our 749's could meet !!! :P (sorry, poor taste Must of forgot what chat forum i'm on !!)

P.S. Echo to itexuk and Carbon 749 posts
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:14

sadly not single....go out with a bloke who hates bikes...gives me a bit of peace and quiet at times though!
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:20
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:

By the way, you good looking / single? Maybe our 749's could meet !!! :P (sorry, poor taste Must of forgot what chat forum i'm on !!)

You 'kin TART!!!!!
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:24
Mille

Mood: Great
Quote:

Sorry Martin, Single but in love with my bike and not gay
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:25
Ducati Dealer
Mille

Learned it all from you mate (Davie)!!

I was hoping you would see this and show us how it's done....... seeing as you're the expert

Nice one itexuk, you got me there!!

Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:28
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:

Learned it all from you mate (Davie)!!

I was hoping you would see this and show us how it's done....... seeing as you're the expert

Nice one itexuk, you got me there!!

I think another night out is order like we discussed.....You have much to learn young Skywalker!!!!!