Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Oct-2006, 01:09
Mille

Talking spring

I have fitted a new rear spring on my 999S bip and thought a few of you out there might want to know what it's like when you change the springs,
I aint light and I do a lot of two up riding, and I aint slow, so I thought I'd see what the bikes like with a new spring, it's the first time I've changed the spring rate on a bike,
I have done a lot to my bike, and am always looking for ways to make it better and at £80 for an ohlins spring I'd thought this bike needed it more than the other bikes I've had,
so I thought I'd give it a go, I looked up a website I've found and after a good read and abit of compramise, the spring they recommened for my weight needed the shock revalved,well so they said, and I have to agree with them with hind sight,
so I went for the haveryis spring that they said my shock could handle with out being revalved,1091-34/100, it is
it was easy to fit,
first time out it seemed to hard and bouncy at the same time. it took a few miles and abit of playing to get the damping right as the spring through the settings that I had found in the past, out,
in the end I had the rebound set at max and the compressing at 15 out,
the ride is more supple now, it takes bumps better and rides over them and does not upset the bike, not quite a goldwing but noitcably smoother,
and it steers fast as well,
I geuss I had the compressing damping turned up hard to make up for the weak spring that came with the bike,
but what surprised me was what it did to the front forks, I left them as they were but the rear has changed the whole bike and the front that I had to have hard on the compression to stop the forks bottoming under hard braking
is so much better, softer and just as composed, and I hav'nt touched them,
I would recommend any one who is on the large size to have ago, £80 is not that much but I would not recommend you go as high as I have unless you weigh more than 18 stone on a bip and do two up riding.
I would like to try a 1091-31/95 or even a 1091-29/90,
I dont know if a bip has different linkages as the weights that I found on the website are wrong,
the spring I have should still be soft and it's not.
It might be spot on but it's one of thoughs things you have to go both sides to soft and to hard to know the right one for you and unless I try a 31/95 I wont know for sure but I can say it's loads better than 1091-21/75 what was on there for me,
Old 15-Oct-2006, 09:29
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
the difference is your rear sag is now reduced so the bike sits higher at the back tipping weight forward. i added an article on spring weight to upnorth, there is a table from section 8 ( no longer on their website ) which has suggested springs/rider weight. IMHO for bumpy UK road use all the weights quoted are slightly on the high side but it is a good starting point. somewhere in that article it also gives the max spring change possible without a revalve.

I'm 145lbs and run a 70 spring, I've got 64 and 75's which i have tried but prefer the 70 for my usual roads.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 17:26
Mille

Thumbs up

That was what I went by, but found your spring weighs quite a lot out,
but your max weight spring before you need a revalve was spot on.
is the linkage on a bip the same as a mono as I dont understand how you got one so right but the other wrong,
it worked for me as I wanted the sping for two up, the original was fine for just me even with my 17 stone lump on it and the lighter of my two kids at 5 stone but it could not compensate so well with my elder one at 8 stone, and as for the wife well,
dont get me wrong I was and am very thankfull to you for the article at least you give some numbers that I could and did use, and I wouldn't of done it with out them so I owe a BIG THANKS.
we all should get the numbers for the weights and the bikes that have worked for us and put them on this site,
just as a starting point,
THANKS again