Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-May-2005, 04:48
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
999R - Nice ornament or everyday tool?

Well yet again the R has let me down, 398 miles (100 of which have been done by the dealer, and another 100 riding it back from there, so 198 miles of actually road/personal riding to date).

The story goes Lily and I were off to Cadwell to see you guys on Sunday, we got up early, too early!!! to get over there, opened the curtains and we were greeted by rain so decided to think better of it (good job really if you read on...)

Anyway come lunchtime I get a call from a mate who's got tickets for Oulton courtesy of GSE so off we all go for a mooch round (in the car) have a quick chat with John, Rick and Ken at JHP, spot weeksy so say hello and watch several hours of qualifying action, by this point the weather has turned good, nice sunny day, time for a ride Lily and I decide.

So back home, get the bikes out the Bob Johnson starts immediately (as ever) the R dead as a door nail, they've both been on the optimate yet my R doesn't want to play. Not knowing much how the 749/999 ECU gets involved as you just push the start button and release and the engine normally turns until it starts well that isn't happening now, you press the button it attempts to start i.e. one turn the ECU light flickers then the whole thing dies, is it the starter motor not catching? battery goosed? I really don't know glad it wasn't good weather in the morning though as we'd of been up and ready to go to Cadwell and this would of happened. Anyway after much twiddling and tyre kicking/scratching heads I put the bike in gear and rotate the rear wheel backwards in a vain hope to get the cylinder onto the compression cycle, press the starter and voila she tries to start and does.... we assume it's one of those lovely Italian quirks get suited up and off we go for a 2 hour blast

So moving forward to Monday and BSB, bike out and low and behold exactly the same thing, press the button engine does one turn then nothing, I try the compression thing again, this time nothing... So it's bodywork off and instantly spot the battery has bulged quite a bit and is deformed quite badly, obviously caput. I'm sure a battery should last longer than 398 miles ???

Problem is we're back at Oulton today for our 3rd t/day of the year, so I need to get the R running whatever, Lily comes up with the idea of phoning our mate (the guy who has stripped/broke his Bayliss rep) and see if he still has his battery, he does so off she goes to get that while I sit there and think Japanese an hour or so passes and she returns, I fit the battery and it's still dead but he hasn't run the Bayliss or what's left of it for a while, so back on the optimate and then twiddle our thumbs for the rest of the day, no chance in going to Oulton now, not in the car so again the R spoils the day for both of us, Lily does the right thing and stays out of my way because I am like a bear with a sore head.

6 hours later I try to start the R..... exactly the same, caput, after me swearing and generally bad mouthing the bike we load everything up for Oulton, so probably by the time most people read this I'd of been to Oulton dropped Lily off and I'll be driving to Coventry with the bike, 3 track days so far this year and 3 missed, one through work and two through bike failure, and more track days booked which seem I'll be unlikely to attend going on current form (100% failure rate), all I want is a bike I can push the button a ride when I want, not cart back and too to Coventry every 2 to 3 weeks

It's just one of those things, I know it will get sorted John and the boys have never let me down yet, I'm just fed up, if it packs up again someone might get a bargain though because it's going next time

:rant over:

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by JPM]
Old 03-May-2005, 06:46
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I just have to say the gel batteries fitted to modern Dukes are crap.Also the Optimate charger does'nt seem to work on them.(I'm talking recovery mode here.)The best way to charge the battery is on the bike,..ie using the bikes charging system.Not riding them for weeks/months on end does them no good at all.
Old 03-May-2005, 07:53
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i don't want to jinx myself, but i don't have these problems on the 749r. i realise that the 999r will put more of a load on starting, but i think there is a fault there somewhere.

sounds like some careful investigation is needed when it goes back in to be fixed

whats the charging system doing, alternator voltage and current at variuos rpm, regulator output at the same points.
how much current is being used when the bike is running and when stopped
what is the drain from the immobiliser and alarm (if fitted)

also what is the optimate up to, it is design to follow a cycle, is it doing it properly ie the right voltage and currents at the right time (this may also be affected by the alarm.

i don't leave the optimate plugged in all the time. i just put it on for about 1 day a week if it is not being ridden
Old 03-May-2005, 09:02
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Not just me have problem with a Duke to. I have spent more time getting to the dealers and runing up the miles than i have rode for plessure. Then the 12 months service is due with only 1550 miles on the clock.
Old 03-May-2005, 09:47
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Sorry to hear yet more bad news on the R Hope you get it sorted soon ... Don't give in on her just yet ...
But if you do Come down and take the K5 out for a few hours... your love it
Old 03-May-2005, 11:55
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Oh no, not again

Lets hope a decent battery sorts it

best of luck
Old 03-May-2005, 12:33
888 at Last !!!

WOW , not again.
What a let down.

And you only have 398 on her and only 198 are actually road/personal riding ???
I think you should ride her more (if she works that is...).

Anyway... i hope they fix it quickly.
Keep us posted on that.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:47
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
The straight swap for the ZX10R is still available !!!
Old 03-May-2005, 12:51
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
What 2 ZX10r might be worth a think. Ha Ha
Old 03-May-2005, 12:54
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
The straight swap for the ZX10R is still available !!!

:P