Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-May-2005, 12:58
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by keefer
no such thing as a maintenance free slipper clutch yet, unless you have a wet clutch.
I probably strip mine down every month while im using the bike and grease all the parts, if you don't do it regularly there wont be much grease on the parts that need it as it gets flung of by the rotation

Fair comment ... point noted!
Old 19-May-2005, 13:00
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
You also need a heat resistent grease, again someone posted a link to this stuff ages ago, I bought a tube, it isn't cheap to say the least!
Old 19-May-2005, 13:03
Mille

Mood: counting
not that i know mutch but .. my 2p ... i didnt like the slipper clutch that came with my bike (corse one i believe) was fine for a few thousand miles but then turned into an arse with every start a raceing start or a stall (fine for the track but makes you look a nob in town) and then the plates died after about 6 k (thank god thers an outpost in thurso)

also ive gotten the idea that slipper clutches were primeraly designed for the races comming off 2 stroke onto 4 stroke (could that be you?)
Old 19-May-2005, 13:07
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty

also ive gotten the idea that slipper clutches were primeraly designed for the races comming off 2 stroke onto 4 stroke (could that be you?)

Don't think that's correct if I am honest, slippers have been around for ages, they primary design was for the likes of Dukes etc (twins) that had loads of engine braking, thus the clutch circumvented the locking of the back wheel on a down change, not so apparent on a 4 cylinder machine, although as we have more powerful bikes now, especially GP machines slippers appear more and more.
Old 19-May-2005, 13:32
Mille

errm thats kinda what i ment not much engine breaking on a 2 stroke and will survive overreving whereas the 4 stroke would be the oppisite , no ?
Old 19-May-2005, 13:42
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Big V twins and singles are worst for engine braking, its usually easy enough to blip throttle as you go down box but on steep downhills it requires a 2 finger brake, blip throttle with other 2 fingers all while keeping weight on your wrists. The quicker you are going and more gears to shift down the worse the back end lock which is why racers use it. I just want it cos my favourite road involves a couple of hard braking 2 -3 gear shifts into downhill corners.

[Edited on 19-5-2005 by Gizmo]
Old 19-May-2005, 14:09
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Moc
errm thats kinda what i ment not much engine breaking on a 2 stroke and will survive overreving whereas the 4 stroke would be the oppisite , no ?

Yes and no.... 4 cylinder 4 strokes don't suffer as much...
Old 19-May-2005, 14:16
Big Twin

I have fitted a Fast By Ferracci slipper in my 749R bought from Pro Twins to replace the standard slipper, it made a vast improvement and has stopped the grinding noise !

I have had the Sigma slipper in one of my previous bikes as did a friend and in my opinion they are crap, the bearings came out of both of them fortunately not causing any damage, plus one of the posts lost its circlip which could have also caused damage.

When i was at the Munich bike show last year there was a company there marketing a new type of slipper that was completely different to anything i have ever seen, the build quality was fantastic and it came with its own tools for fitting etc. I had a leaflet with the details but unfortunately i have misplaced it and cannot remember the name of the clutch, unless anyone else was in Munich and can remember these clutches ?
Old 19-May-2005, 14:22
Big Twin

Another option is the STM 48 tooth "non-slipper" clutch. Nelly does 'em; I've got one and it's very good. Pro's are: you can use your stock pressure plate, springs, etc; they last longer than the stock clutch; they're quieter; there's no fiddly set-up/maintenance like with a slipper.

I'm yet to be convinced that a slipper is necessary/desirable for primarily road use.
Unless you're a riding god, of course.

In which case, I take it all back.

Oh, the "messing about with clutch pack thickness" mentioned upthread. It's no big deal, really. The worse that can happen is you'll put one of your old "plain" plates in the STM pack.
Old 19-May-2005, 22:55
Mille

anyone know a good thread /piece of text telling me how to ride abike with without slipper clutch ?