Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:33
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Big Help Needed Badly. 999 CPU HELP

Hi To All
I bought a secondhand system for my 999 bip back last year. Pipe, CPU And the end can and filters. Fit the end can myself and had Ducati fit the CPU and the race filters all fitted on the first service. Bike working just great. Today the bike had the second service only to be told that the CPU for the race system is now playing up. Front cyclinder gets to much fuel 8% should be 6%. So i now need a replacement CPU. I can get one under warranty but to get one i need to get a recept for a Termigoni Exhaust system kit with CPU. As because i bought it secendhand i had no recept. I have tried to get in contact with the person i got i from, as i found old e.mail. The recept needed to be from last year as Ducati fitted CPU on the 16-7-2004. so if you can help me with this one, it would realy help me out. I would only needed to show it to the dealers then you could have it back. Don't worry about the name as we will say it was bought as a presant. if anyone can help with this or give me some other advice then i will be very greatful.(beers will be paid for!) Please respone in here or U2U if you would like.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 23:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Has any adjustment been attempted or has it just been measured that the front is over fuelling?
The fuelling is adjustable via the Mathesis tester or via software and the balance between the cylinders can be adjusted via the air bleeds............
If the bike is still running, then it'd probably adjust??
Old 13-Jun-2005, 23:24
Mille

I think adjustment has been attempted as they told me about the 5 or 6 deffrent settings. I am so p***** off. The bike is running like crap now. Open the throttle wide and it just gose nowhere. Im think of jumping from the motorway bridge.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 08:22
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Something sounds not quite right here , 'tis a well known fact that once a race ECU has been fitted to a bike it will only work on that particular bike , are you sure they fitted the race ECU ?

It is possible to make a bike run fine using an asymetric system (which yours sounds like it is) using the standard ECU by altering the mixture settings using the external diagnostic computer (my 749R is running exactlt this) , it sounds like your dealer has not fitted the race ECU (as the bike would notrun at all) and incorrectly set up the bike afterwards.

Have a look at the ECU yourself and check exactly what is there first , the label on the ECU says bike model and if it is a race unit or not.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 08:32
Mille

It is the race CPU fitted
Old 14-Jun-2005, 08:45
GTL

whoever fitted it must have done something to it to make it work then , and it sounds like it has gone wrong , good luck
Old 14-Jun-2005, 09:11
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
So before the service your bike was running fine?

After the service it runs like a dog and now needs a new/replacement ECU?

Am I missing something here?
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:12
Big Twin

I do not know how true it is but i was told by a couple of dealers that the cpu from any race kit can be exchanged from bike to bike without any problems but a standard cpu cannot and is specific to the original bike that it was initially fitted to ?
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
You say got filters, do you mean aftermarket air Filters?

Undertank air filters are not as good as those in the standard position for throttle response and can upset the fueling on the older models, e.g. 998

Ray
Old 14-Jun-2005, 11:00
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
You say got filters, do you mean aftermarket air Filters?

Undertank air filters are not as good as those in the standard position for throttle response and can upset the fueling on the older models, e.g. 998

Ray

the standard and race (hi flow) air filters on 749 / 999's are in the same place , as the air tube enters the airbox , the only difference is the filter material , the race filter has a more open mesh to let more air in.

in reply to iang's post , my local dealers first experience of ECU 's only working on the bike thet are originaly fitted to was when a customer who had an 03 999S mono and fitted an assymetric system and ECU to it traded the bike in for an 04 , 999S bip model , he asked for the exhaust etc to be swapped over to the new bike , the dealer did si and the bike would not start at all , they put the standard ECU back on and it started straight away.