Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Sep-2003, 10:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Like jk2, I am confused by your graph. the blue graph is the most powerful one, measured at 138.6 bhp, but the legend above the chart says blue is std ECU rear cyl, run #078. Is this just a colour mix up?
Old 02-Sep-2003, 11:17
Montjuic

No there is no mix up. This is the dyno for my "old" bike. It started as a 999 producing 118hp at the rear wheel.
I then added the asymetrical Termi, slipper clutch, alloy flywheel, carbon plates and most importantly 996R cams.( this is the same part # as 998S & 999S cams) as well as a power commander.
The bike was running very lean with the 999 termi (standard) ECU. I also had a 999S Termi ECU, which was tested and should have, theoretically, produced the most power as the bike was ostensibly a 999S. Theory didn't translate to reality and the 999 Termi (standard) ECU produced the best power curve, so it was left on the bike. I subsequently (3 weeks ago) traded the bike on a 999S and am using th lessons learned to develop something really special.
Old 02-Sep-2003, 11:26
Montjuic

Dickieducati
Forgot to mention in my last post, you may remember that I mentioned a friends 999S with 54mm Termi's dropped in power on the dyno from 136 to 128hp after a cam timing change. As I said, I wasn't convinced that it wasn't fuelling and I may still be right and a PC may sort the problem, but changing the cam timing around 2 degrees fixed the problem. So cam timing appears to be absolutely critical.
Old 02-Sep-2003, 11:30
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
cheers, your info has been really useful, i wont be able to get mine set up for a couple of months now but will let you know all the details when john hackett is let loose on it.
Old 02-Sep-2003, 21:27

aerodynamics

I would like to introduce a different slant to all this power talk and tell you that it's pointless anyway. Last years trip to wdw on the old style bike saw cruising speeds between fuel stops of anything up to 160mph. tucked behind the screen and no problems at all. On the new bike I have now your top speed is governed by how well you can hang on. Although I can hit a indicated 159 down the back straight at snetterton the problems dont show themselves because you are too busy. BUT sit on a foreign motorway and try this and you will find that the aerodynamics will not allow such speeds, the sides of the fairing where the foils are will flap and the top locating lugs will come adrift. Even laying on the tank you are hit so hard by the blast....... I didn't notice all this on the tracks or on UK roads but this years trip to spain showed it up. And you need not waste time and energy with ducati UK, they just say that nobody else has had a problem. The only person that has a problem is Neil Hodgson, he has a higher and wider fairing that no doubt works. He has even discussed it in MCN. But I get nowhere.
One p***ed 999 owner.
Old 02-Sep-2003, 23:07
Montjuic

Buy a double bubble screen. I am 5'11" and ride my bike regularly at 150+mph at Phillip Island race track with no such problems or concerns.
Old 03-Sep-2003, 00:50
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Fit a DP race screen. Works for me
Old 03-Sep-2003, 08:08

screen

when I bought the bike the only screen I could find was the skidmarx one. And yes it does keep wind of the head but its not wide enough, wind is directed down the side of the bubble onto your shoulders. What sugestions do you have to stop the side panels from trying to take off. I have talked to many manufactureres about possible replacements, but they are all cloning the standard kit, which is lacking.
Old 03-Sep-2003, 15:28

Enough of screens - back to power debate. I have a 999s. Just fitted the 50mm termi system with the new ECU supplied in the kit. Clearly the engine is breathing a lot better (no restriction in exhaust) but I am not convinced there is any more power over the standard system, having ridden the bike several times. I will spend some time verifying this on a dyno when I get some time. If this is the case, it is a pretty poor show from Ducati having shelled out £850 for no power gain.

The fix lies in the fuelling and/or ignition map. Wild cams are not the answer for a road bike - which mine is.

Can anybody reccommed a good Ducati tuner who can set up a power commander on a 999s, and finish the job that Ducati didn't!!

Interestingly, when I first rode the bike with the termis and ECU, my initial impression was over fuelling bogging the engine.
Old 03-Sep-2003, 16:40
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Is it an asymetric system that you have fitted (looks like the standard one , short u shaped pipe from rear cylinder) or a 50mm full system ? (completely differnt routing for the pipe from the rear cylinder)

Full systems are available in 3 sizes , 50mm , 54mm and 57mm dia , the 50mm one is NOT reccomended for the S , only for the standard 999 , if a dealer has sold you a 50mmsystem for an S take it back