Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 04-May-2015, 00:57
Mille
Bikes: 500 Pantah, TT2, 749R, 944ssie, Rickman Kwak 1170, Yam 1200 Super Ten

Mood: The Older I get the Faster I Was!
Nice maths Lee, but flawed. Your calculations do not take into account that the compression ratio is theoretical and that it doesn't take into account valve timing. i.e. The inlet valve doesn't close until well after the piston's on the way back up the bore from BDC. A leak down test will reliably indicate any problems, but doing the valves and rings will always help an old clunker 😛
Old 05-May-2015, 21:04
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Speak to the Ghostmeister, sounds exactly like the problem I had (fat arse too). He did lots of lapping and magicery with my engine and it improved many fold.

Other than that you can buy my engine at the end of this season.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 05-May-2015, 23:24
Montjuic
Bikes: Fire-blade, Monster 600

Mood: Living the dream!!!
Umm, the old dynamic Vs static, I have ordered a leak tester as recommend by Kev, so I will be able to find out more when it arrives.

I have stripped the bike down in preperation (removed - fairing, battery and tray, air box, carbs etc). I also removed the rocker covers and cannot get my smallest feeler gauge 0.05mm under the inlet shim on either cylinder and only just get it under the closing shim though all four shims can be rotated. So perhaps that's part of the problem.

Shame I didn't know about your engine earlier as I brought a winter project engine today, was advertised as a 1999/2000 engine with approx 8000 miles. With my limited knowledge spotted it was a 600SS engine, I now think it's also 1994/1995, but Kev is helping me identify the bad boy.

I will post the leak test results when known.
Old 06-May-2015, 07:29
Big Twin

0.05mm opener clearance

Always set the closers first then the openers.

Old 06-May-2015, 11:26
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
0.05mm opener clearance

Always set the closers first then the openers.

i believe the "correct" clearances are open to debate, I've been told that 0 is "correct" for a race engine and without the belts on you can feel when its touching but not rubbing.

however, my new philosophy is if it starts its good, learned that from the pie man.
Old 07-May-2015, 07:29
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
i believe the "correct" clearances are open to debate, I've been told that 0 is "correct" for a race engine and without the belts on you can feel when its touching but not rubbing.

however, my new philosophy is if it starts its good, learned that from the pie man.

0 on closers Matt. 0.10 - 0.12 on openers

Old 07-May-2015, 20:57
Montjuic
Bikes: Fire-blade, Monster 600

Mood: Living the dream!!!
Disappointment springs to mind:-
I ordered an engine drop leak tester and awaited it's arrival. On Tuesday I travelled down to Epsom to pick up a 1999/2000 monster 600 engine. With the help of Kev, we think the engine is a 1995-7 as it is supposed to be from a 'T' reg monster with approx 8000 miles.

This morning (due to the lack of work) I thought I would compression test the newly acquired engine with a set of jump leads, (the engine was cold). Rear piston 100 psi and front piston 25 psi? Uhmm disappointment, but a winter project.

The engine drop tester appeared this afternoon so this evening I gave it a go (engine cold as it's stripped down). On unpacking the new toy and saw that the percentage loss gauge was broken, uhmm disappointment, not letting that stop me I plumbed it in and cranked it up to 100 psi, on both cylinders the valves held and both sets of rings leaked......but I don't know by how much %.

Phoned up ducatimondo (www.ducatimondo.co.uk or Chris Brody 01422 345823) and new rings are £95.43 per cylinder, uhmm disapointment.

Has anyone any ideas, like would hone/deglazing work. I am investigating an alternative source for rings.
Old 07-May-2015, 22:01
Mille
Bikes: YZF750R, DD 'B' class monster #2

Just make up up what you lose on the straights in the corners and you'll be fine
Old 07-May-2015, 23:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee M
Disappointment springs to mind:-

The engine drop tester appeared this afternoon so this evening I gave it a go (engine cold as it's stripped down). On unpacking the new toy and saw that the percentage loss gauge was broken, uhmm disappointment,

Hope they replace it for you, they are a useful tool to have aound

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 08-May-2015, 20:09
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Phone a Ducati dealer with the engine number, if you ask nice they might find what it came out of. (Ducati Manchester did this with my frame number so I could get Badger's reg and V5)

If it's not what was advertised take it back and get your money back.

Buy mine with the recouped cash.
Easy!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50