Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Aug-2005, 00:59
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
SPS advice needed please

'went to look at a year 2000 996sps tonight and would appreciate your views.

bike is the full ohlins model, so desirable.

it looks mint, no scratches and nothing missing.

bodywork, frame and wheels are unmarked, good tyres, worn to both edges

FSH and originally supplied by Pro Twins

3 owners, present owner just over a year

mileage 4000

new battery (no optimate)

stored in front room

no alarm

n/s mirror removed as glass broken (seen)

rear carbon number plate and indicator carrier removed, but seen.

bike is a german import, service book in deutsche and clocks are kph

present owner bought bike august '04, from Pro Twins (receipt not seen) which is when the mot ran out.

claims to have ridden home, parked in front room (as you do) and not used since. SORN since last december

has not got any of the sps extras like stand, cover, exhausts etc.(is that what they came with?)

approx 400km covered on odometer since last MOT was issued (seen), in august '03.

the bike started and ran ok and the oil looked reasonably fresh through the sight glass

no scrapes, evidence of ham-fisted servicing, or lockwire.

the owner also has an R1, on which he tours and does overseas trackdays etc., plus a boat at brighton marina and numerous other toys.

he was very blase about the whole thing, saying that he has got to pay a large tax bill, so has to sell and swore that he did not use it for trackdays

my first thought was that the bike has been used as a trackday tool, so the alarm had been removed, speedo disconnected and no need to tax and mot etc

this guy is clearly wealthy, but my suspicious nature tells me that you don't pay £8.5k for a bike and then not use it

i cannot imagine any dealer selling a bike with less than a months mot either.

the only other exlanation is that it was bought as a company vehicle, just to stop the tax man getting his hands on surplus funds.

anyway, that aside, is there anything wrong with german import sps's and can the clocks be changed?

i got a good feeling about it generally and i am a fussy bugger, but i am sure i must be missing something vital

I will phone Pro twins to see what they can tell me, but what do you think guys?

oh, its up for £6.5k by the way

cheers

Gaz
Old 25-Aug-2005, 01:08
Ducati Corse

Gary ...

Run the engine and frame numbers past Mrs Stephanie Chappell, Customer Service Dept: info@ducatiuk.com
Old 25-Aug-2005, 08:42
GTL

We have alot of problems with cars and bikes coming in from Germany having the speedo altered or changed or even people selling stolen bikes as living in Sweden they are much cheaper than here. Though my first Ducati I brought when I moved to Sweden was from Germany and I had no problems but I brought it from a shop.
The bottom line is look at it and maybe you will get a feeling that its the right move or that you should just walk away, though with Ducati's its hard to do that.
Good Luck, you never said how much it was ?
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:23
Mille

Thanks guys.

If i did not know it was an import, i would have bought it there and then, because it looks absolutely mint.

I know that in a lot of cases, logic doesn't always feature when people buy bikes, but this is the stragest one i have come across.

Anyone know if german models are restricted?

By the time i have brought it up to uk spec, i will have spent enough to buy one anyway.

I'll see what pro wins have to say a bit later, then see if DUC can help.

By that time, he'll have sold it

Que sera etc

Gaz

Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:01
500SD

If you are in ANY doubt don't buy it.

You will find the one you want and from my experience you will know its "right", your sixth sense kind of tells you.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:50

Is that the one advertised in MCN this week? I saw it and thought it looked cheap.

Mine is a UK bike and came with the stand, cover, termi's and chip (as well as standard cans). Budget for a full service in with tha deal, but I'm sure I could live with a Km clock with a few mph stickers added since the first SP's all had Km clocks anyway. Mine lives on an optimate, it's the only way to ensure it starts! and I would think you will need an alarm to get a decent insurance quote.

Happy hunting, Ian.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:35
Mille

'spoke to pro twins just now.

They confirmed selling the bike and know the seller and his brother, who they have not seen since they sold it.

when i asked about selling a bike with little or no mot, they replied 'might do!'

apparrently no difference between uk and german bikes except the speedo.

i remember the log book giving the chassis number but not engine number, is this normal?
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:44
GTL

No this is NOT normal. The bike I brought from Germany had a service book and it had the engine AND frame number.
If you are not sure, wouldnt it be better to wait as it looks like its a buyers market out there? I saw one on EBAY from a shop with the ÖHLINS for £7000 so they are out there and they didnt sell it.
Old 27-Aug-2005, 00:33
Mille

The end of the story folks....

I phoned the seller to get the engine and chassis number to run it past DUC UK on Henners advice.

No response was the reply.

After seeing there was no engine number in the log book, could it be that the bike was bought from Pro Twins without an engine and then subsequently one was 'aquired'?

They were certainly very cagey when i asked them and clearly requesting the i.d. numbers from the seller seemed to hit the spot.

Now i am not making accusations, far from it, this is all just my theory.

It did look nice tho'

Thanks Henners, i didn't realise that DUC UK would check frame numbers out for us and clearly the very thought of it is enough to put the willies up some sellers.

Anyway, it gives me time to sell the 996bp in advance.

Anyone????

Gaz
Old 27-Aug-2005, 00:35
Mille

...by the way, this is the one adverised in this weeks' MCN as being in "as new" condition 4000 miles, in case anyone else was thinking of having a look.

Gaz