Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2006, 12:11
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Time for reflection on the 996

I've now had a few spring runs in and a chance to really find out more about the 996 and i have to say i'm well pleased with the results so here's my own personal findings...

I had slight reservations about whether i'd like being back on a sportsbike rather than a nudie but this thing is just so good it doesn't matter.

Easily the best handling bike i ever rode - beautifully well balanced and those Avon Viper supersport tyres are absolutely excellent and hugely effective even in cold/damp conditions. I'm honestly converted from Bridgestones.

The engine just pulls from any revs (above say 3000 below which it chugs a bit as would most twins) and is hugely powerful. Lovely top end too. And wheelies (not my speciality at all) are hard to stop in gears 1-3 and even 4th over crests and rises.

Handling is (cliche time) sublime - properly the easiest bike to drag your knee on ever which has to be a result of the confidence inspiring handling. And i thought my old speed triple was fun to ride !!!

Lovely clunks, bangs pops and chatters from the dry clutch, race pipes and that 'living-breathing' engine. Stirs the soul somewhat.

What more can i say? Need i mention the thumbs up from random passing Italian tourists? Kids stopping to point and stare? Only problem is finding time for everything else when all i want to do is ride my bike It all makes up for those little electrical faults and the need to polish and clean a bit more regularly, which is more of a pleasure than a chore really.

Still to come is a trip to Europe for a few trackdays so that'll give a chance to stretch its legs properly.

Roll on summer
Old 03-Apr-2006, 13:46
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Nicely put.

Spring is a great time to own a Ducati.

Do you have any Euro track days in mind?

I've already booked a couple, and I'm always happy to meet up with other members (so to speak).

Spin
Old 04-Apr-2006, 20:12
Bevel Head

Nothing booked yet mate, just finished costing the whole exercise as i'll be taking the 996 and my mate will take his track-only R1 which means either a van or trailer (van preferred though).

Not sure about locations yet either so very much open to ideas - when/where are you booked into? I was thinking possibly Assen for starters. The Nurburgring GP circuit's properly lovely too and the Nordschleife's always there for the mentally unstable
Old 05-Apr-2006, 09:56

Nice review, makes me want to take a days holiday and get her out of the garage

As for tracks, dont forget Spa, my personal favourite, certainly one to do at some point :P
Old 05-Apr-2006, 10:51
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
Nicely written, god that just makes me want to go Banzai
Certainly stirs the blood.

one question why Greenmachine...!!
Are you an old Zed lover...
Old 05-Apr-2006, 21:22
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Nogaro at the end of May for 2 days.

Pau Arnos 25th and 26th September.

Got some options on Val de Vienne and Magny Cours in July August (2 days each).

All brilliant tracks.

I'm in Jersey, so I start a bit further south than you, but none of them need more than a day to get to, once you're on French soil.

Spin
Old 05-Apr-2006, 21:41
Bevel Head

Cheers guys, I'm properly spoiled for choice now, which is surely a good thing.

Spin - Thanks mate, I'll include those dates and tracks for discussion with my mate as it would be nice to meet another dsc member and then the two of us can **** off his R1 and Mille road bike until he spits the dummy and we fall about laughing

DST - Yep i can talk for hours on the correct geen paint codes, merits of jacking the rear and dropping the front half and inch and that most tuneable peach of an engine from any 750 kawasaki (my personal choice being the ZXR750RR L2 for being so baaadaass ).
Old 05-Apr-2006, 22:10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Reminds me of when I got mine... except mine is set up pretty solid so handles like a trolley on teh bumpy roads.

Wait 'til you get it on track... it's a whole new chapter!