Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:05
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
996R/998R ?

Right to anyone who has had either , i am hoping to change my 998Bp in July & am looking info on both of these bikes

The budget is pointing towards the 996R the head the 998R , finding it hard to make the mental leap to the 998R money but also having probs with going back a year to 2001 for the 996R
Will the 6R be that much better & worth going back a year ,plus if i go the 6R what would i expect power wise as i could maybe stretch to some mods as well
But to go to the 8R i would really be pushing it money wise ,would it be really worth it

Any thoughts or coments are welcome

Ps this decisions is not taken lightly as divorce/bankrupcy looms with either choice so try & keep the coments reasonably sensable
Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:07

No doubt about it go for the 996R. Stunning. - Chillo may be able to offer more of an insight as he's owned both.
Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:09
Dibble

The 996R is an iconic bike that will retain far more of its value.

The 998 will NEVER be in the same league ....

And I doubt either you or I are good enough to either notice or utilise the performance differences ....

Personally, my money would be on the 6 ........ but I haven't got any money so my opinions rather irrelevant .... lol

Get a 999R, they are getting cheaper by the day if you want the last ounce of performance .....

Whatever you do, buy what YOU want ...

Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:15
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
That was quick , forgot to add I do not Like the 999 range , i had a test on the 999bp hoping the ride would make me forget the looks but it didn't
Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:16
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Totto
That was quick , forgot to add I do not Like the 999 range , i had a test on the 999bp hoping the ride would make me forget the looks but it didn't

Excellents news .. a 996R it will be then ...
Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:23
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Totto

I tried the first 999 when they came out as I was looking to replace my 996, I hated it, so bought a Bostrom Rep, and then had an impulse purchase for a 999R, I rode it for the first time on Sunday a whopping 30 miles, and I must say it is so much better than the box standard 999, it actually didn't feel too different from the Bostrom, but saying that I haven't rode a bike for 6 months, so comparisons are few and far between.
Old 04-Mar-2005, 16:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
The 996R is an iconic bike that will retain far more of its value.

The 998 will NEVER be in the same league ....

And I doubt either you or I are good enough to either notice or utilise the performance differences ....

Personally, my money would be on the 6 ........ but I haven't got any money so my opinions rather irrelevant .... lol

Get a 999R, they are getting cheaper by the day if you want the last ounce of performance .....

Whatever you do, buy what YOU want ...

Thanks for that Dibbs, buy not too cheap eh!

Mine is a 2002 Totto, still lots of late registered low milage ones out there. she seems to get faster each time I take her out.
Old 04-Mar-2005, 16:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I have ridden both a 998R and a 998s in standard form. The 998s is supposed to have the pretty much the same motor as the 996r and no word of a lie it felt gutless compared to the 998r. If there was only 3 BHP difference between them as the specs say then they are flipping big horses.

The 998r has a bit more carbon/different seat unit.

The 996r was the last of line as it were to win the WSB championship so in some peoples eyes that makes it more desirable. The 998r was the highest spec bike in the line, the 998FE (final edition) was basically a 998s with Ohlins forks.

As a ride I doubt that you would be disappointed with either but if it was me looking at a 996r I would want a test ride just to make sure it didn't disappoint on the "go" front. On my experience so far I would go with the 998r.

At the end of last years riding season there was about 2k difference in the asking price on average between a 996r and a 998r.

yer pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Ray.
Old 04-Mar-2005, 18:55
Big Twin

Mood: happy
gutless, thats fighting talk:P that would have been the last statment to make. If anyone went on the 996R and found it wanting in the "go" department, then they should be racing, for us mere mortals that motor is way above what we can use. For me when it comes to buying a bike I go with what I like, not others.

all that said and done go get yourself that 996R, with the money you will save you can buy yourself some "go"
Old 04-Mar-2005, 19:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Adam,

calm down calm down

I was speaking comparatively, no way is a 996r gutless per se.

I just rode a 998s and a 998r on the same day on the same roads and that was how it felt. Maybe the r was a "good un" and the S a "bad un" I'll never know.

Racing has nowt to do with it, a comparison was the crux of the matter.

Both the 996r and 998r are fantastic bikes. and the 998s, 998bip, 998FE, 996, 916, 955, 853, 748.............................

:P

Ray.