Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Nov-2005, 22:54
DSC Club Member

Mood: Waiting for summer
Marchesini Magnesium

I have bought some 3 year old magnesium marchesini 5 spokes. They have done about 5000 very steady road miles (still on the original Pirelli supercorsa front tyre and half way thru second rear supercorsa, both with massive chicken srips). The price seemed good and the 53 year old now guzzi owning seller seemed genuine enough. The wheels run true and look superb except for some "snaking" on the back wheel in one fifth of the wheel.

Question - as this snaking has not broken the surface am I OK to continue using the wheels or should I get them checked by Dymag or someone?

Amy help/advice greatly appreciated.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 23:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
My rear wheel had the same "snaking" or "spider webs" but all over in my case. And they were refurbished by Marchesini!

It should be OK but for a complete piece of mind, I'd send it to Dymag for refurbishment. There is a thread further down where someone offered this service for £75 per wheel. That's a bargain! I'd do it.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 23:10
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
As Felix said for piece of mind, get them checked as soon as you can, last thing you need is for them to turn into a pile of dust! (only kidding)
Out of interest, how much did you pay
Old 30-Nov-2005, 23:15
DSC Club Member

Mood: Waiting for summer
Paid £500 for the pair including near new rear tyre and half worn front. Now managed to get a pic of bike with them fitted on my profile. Seemd good price to me.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 23:34
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
The "snaking" as you call it is corrosion. If it's only narrow track snaking, then it's not too bad. Any worse and they need immediate attention. This is not to say that they are knackered, simply that the corrosion is more advanced. Either way for peace of mind have them renovated as soon as you can to stop further deterioration.

Magnesium corrodes much more quickly than most other alloys, so you can't afford to ignore the signs. If you want proof, use a craft knife to pick a little of the paint off a snake track and see what's underneath. My bet is a white powdery appearance to the surface. Afterwards you can make good with a touch up paint stick.

Hope this helps, and you are not alone!!!
Old 30-Nov-2005, 23:44
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
very good price that