Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Dec-2005, 18:54
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Stealth,

I'd recommend (if you want guaranteed security) the motel chain Formule1...

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html

... they are a cheap-as-chips hotel chain, a bit like the "Mcdonalds" of the hotel world but they are clean, well kept, cheap as chips and above all the gates are locked all night so NOBODY can get in. We even ordered pizza one night at 10pm and had to go to the gates with security to take delivery and pay.

There's loads of them about and they can be used to sort of plan your route. Plentiful in France but not sure about spain/the rest of Yerp.

It's nice not to have any pressure and stop where you like but it might be a better idea to book B&Bs ahead and make sure they have a garage.

Sorry to hear about your disastrous stay in the hotel. Gutted must not even begin to describe your feelings the following morning.

Cheers!
Old 03-Dec-2005, 19:04
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Thanks for that. Yes, I still can't get over the theft. Had the bike 7 years and been everywhere on it and got it to how I liked it. In fact both bikes had toured in excess of 25000 miles and were just getting worn in and comfortable.

Still a few things to do on the 998R to get it feeling like its my bike - but clearly don't want to put it at risk of being nicked (even got a spare set of regular 998 fairings/seat etc to replace the carbon fibre items when i go touring - which kind of defeats some of the point of having such a beautiful bike).

The Formule 1 chain sounds good. I'll look them up. Am I guessing they are usually out of town?
Old 04-Dec-2005, 01:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Greenmachine and stealth2, thanks a million for the kind words, i really appreciate that as i hate typeing so its hard work for me but comments like make it worth while.

Stealth2, so sorry to hear you had both bikes nicked, barstewards. I take security very seriously now after having had 2 bikes nicked. Also had the very fortunate pleasure of introducing a thief to hospital food. Just an accident of course.

We avoid cities and big towns like the plague when looking for hotels. If we do stay in town (or out in the sticks) we try for secure parking.

Having said that we also take good precautions as well wherever we stay. I've seen Alex at Almax Chains cut all the top chains with bolt cropers in no time at all (anything from 8 seconds to 60 seconds). He has cut 3 of my previous chains in testing, supposed top quality Abus Granite stuff, 11 & 12.5 mm, and Kryptonite.

My mate with the SPS and my R are always locked together when on holiday with an Almax 13mm chain made to a special short length (so its lighter and easier to carry) so it only just locks the 2 bikes tightly together. We have tested the Almax chains ourselves with the aid of the fire brigade and my mates engineering place and am happy that its the best stuff you can get.

Then we also have 2 GOOD disclocks on the other wheels as additional insurance.

1 bike on its own can very easily be lifted into a van unless locked to something really solid. 2 bikes locked together are a lot harder to lift. In addition, although i think alarms a bit of a waste of time, they are both alarmed and datataged.

I know weight is bad when travelling but we don't take camping gear, or much in the way of clothes and split the weight. One of us has the chain, and the other has 2 disclocks and the padlock for the chain. About 3 or 4 kilos each for peace of mind. Try and get the weight in a tank bag or under the seat if possible.

Sad to say that i've seen to many bikes nicked when on holiday. When the Bol D'or was still at Paul Ricard the police told me 50 bikes were nicked from Bandol alone over 1 weekend. Its big business. My mate got to the hotel at 4 am in the morning and was too tired to put the chain on his bike, when he got up at 10 am his bike was gone.

This isn't meant to sound sanctimonoius but most people on holiday take either no precautions or mickey mouse locks. I really do apologise if this was not the case in your instance. If the thieves really want it they will get it, but if you can avoid them by staying out of town, or make your bike hard to steal, they will go elsewhere. Touch wood.

Formula 1's are normally on the edge of towns or near motorway junctions. Just as a thought, the villians know where the transit type hotels are with rich pickings, we tend to stay in small provincial family run hotels for a few reasons, firstly the owners are more interested in your bikes and security, the foods better, and the bar stays open longer, but thats only my personal opinion. The electric gates on most, but not all Formula 1's are also comforting.

Hope that helps a bit, enjoy your next trip.

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by BDG]
Old 04-Dec-2005, 10:39
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Thanks BDG.

My paranoia about the bike being nicked was made worse by the fact that the two bikes were chained together etc.

Anyway, look forward to hearing more of your journeys in the future. I will certainly be touring again when the weather improves although my mate has decided to go and buy and R1????. So hoepfully that will make the prospect of nicking bith bikes less attractive
Old 05-Dec-2005, 00:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Stealth,

Sounds like you took good precautions but were unlucky as the thieves had taste, but good move your mate getting an R1, chain it to that and you'll be safe.

Try an Almax chain next, best you can get. They were the people cutting all the oppositions chains at the NEC. They upset a few people doing that.

Really hope you have better luck next time. Nice choice with the 998R