Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jun-2005, 23:42

Stick with your gsxr!
Old 04-Jun-2005, 23:58
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Also see Harv748 advert for rear ride height tools, as I previously mentioned this setting makes a huge difference to how your bike turns, not everybody runs the same setting I run 242mm and always set my bike to that.
At the price he is asking it could be a good investment if you are going to have the bike a while and end up playing with final drive gearing

This guy talks sense

Seriously...not just on the hard sell here, but you really should know the rear ride height of your bike, and have it set to suit.

I'm doing Ride Height tools for members at £35 + £5 p&p.

Drop me a U2U and I'll send you some details over if you want. It also comes with quite an extensive guide to setting up the rear end in general. Sounds like you may need it!
Old 15-Jun-2005, 19:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
So L3OONY how are you getting on with sorting out the handling on your 748R, have you had a chance to try things over the last 10 days.

Kev
Old 15-Jun-2005, 21:21

Mood: Mellow
Ah, another 748R set up qraundary. I had the same problem, I could not get it to handle as well as my 748BP at the time. Tried all the options and even got some suspension bloke to set it up for me at Donnington. Then I took it to JHP for a service and mentioned it to John. Too much ride height, too soft a rear spring with too little sag. And that was just looking at it. I got him to set it up and put in a stiffer rear spring, I resisted the superbike fork upgrade. Since then I have just learnt to live with it. It stands up a bit on the brakes, turns in quickly, has good stability but the front still has that 'just about to tuck' feeling. Having the 996R on a 70 front I feel this has to be the way to go to get a more planted feel in the slower corners. Whatever you do good luck but set up is such a personal thing.
Old 20-Jun-2005, 09:55
Mille

Mood: Mildly reckless...
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
So L3OONY how are you getting on with sorting out the handling on your 748R, have you had a chance to try things over the last 10 days.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thanks for all the advice earlier, it appears to have helped massively, sorry I hadn't let you know.

The settings are all now at factory, and and the rear ride height is correct based on the length of the rear tie bar.

M1KEYP made some small alterations to the compression yesterday taking it to about 5 clicks harder than factory which has helped take some of the wallow out of the front when braking or adjusting the throttle, and now the rest is down to me.

Rips comments about the front are absolutely spot on for me, and I guess that the next step is to get over the mental hurdle, which strangely appears to affect me more on left hand bends than right hand ones!

California Superbike School (Rockingham) early July so am hoping that the opportunity to ride on a track with some expert tuition might help get me through this, and then I might stand more chance keeping up with you fast(er) boys!!!

Thanks again for your advice, even if I didn't necessarily change anything, it made me a little more confident of the settings!