Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Mar-2005, 19:08
Mille

Generator basket nut???

Can someone tell me how to get the 30mm nut off the generator basket without spending £85 on the Ducati tool? Or has anyone got one I could beg/steal/borrow?
Just to cure a slipping starter which I think's caused by the kidneys which spin out not engaging properly......possibly the spring? HELP!!!!!!
Old 11-Mar-2005, 20:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Airgun is the easiest, maybe a strap wrench?
Old 11-Mar-2005, 20:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
You could also try putting the bike in gear. Then get someone to sit on it with both fron & rear brakes on while undoing the nut. Its a right git to get off. I used a clutch holding tool and managed to bend the arm undoing the nut earlier this year.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 21:39
Mille

I might try to get a windy gun from work.......my Draper one's poor! Tried the in gear with the back brake on, but the 30 & 32 spanners I had together were under a bit of pressure, so I thought it must be a bit tight & didn't know if the gearbox was up to the torque.......s'ppose it must me tho! Will try again tomorrow
Old 12-Mar-2005, 04:23
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Place a copper coin here to jam the gears in order to tighten, place the coin on the opposite side to loosen.
Old 12-Mar-2005, 07:59
Mille

Shazam,
Think that'd work on the tightening side, but it free wheels to slacken off, otherwise the starter would turn with the engine running.......wouldn't it? Thik that's what the pawls are for.......which is what I'm trying to get the nut off for....to stop em slipping! Will have a look this afternoon......
Old 14-Mar-2005, 13:29
Mille

Playing up again this morning......yup, took the chickens way out and put it back together without removing nut. So rang friendly negihbourhood Duke mechanic to book it in......seemded very reasonable until I mentioned that I couldn't get the nut off....."good" he say's because you can cause alot of damage......."you didn't try a windy gun did you?"......er, yes........"oh, you can bend the crank and elongate a mounting hole, which nessecitates an bottom end engine stripdown to get the crank straightened" and can subsequently be very expensive.......I'm told that this is why Ducati have their special tool! Anyone heard of this, it does sound plausible.......and he's a good guy from what I've heard........afraid, very very afraid
Old 14-Mar-2005, 15:31
500SD

Hi Neil

I'm no expert but..

"You can bend the crank with a windy gun!!" Blinkin' 'eck! How much torque does a windy gun deliver? I'd expect my arms to be ripped off before the crank bent - (but what do I know?)

ps. Nice to see you eventually got yourself an 851/888. If I remember right, you were once after my 888 Strada!

Steve
Old 14-Mar-2005, 18:54
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
nut

Hi Neil
Recently taken mine off with air gun air pressure at max and then the initial torque will spin the nut off.
ok with mine make sure you have a proper 6 sided impact socket not a cheapy.
ian
Old 15-Mar-2005, 13:37
Mille

Had it all explained last night over a 750 crank, you can twist them slightly which means they run out of true, and as the webs on the crank are an interferance fit complete with a pin, it bends the pin out of alignment.....which means a motor strip down bottom end Just waiting to hear back on it......

Steve, thought it must've been you! Am starting to wish that I'd bought the Strada now, as I don't think it would've given this bother! Are you still up in Sunderland? IF you ever fancy a run out, I'm just down the A19......once I get the bike fixed that is..........sometime, hopefully!